TB 91.3.0 keeps asking how to open attachments

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
paul2801

TB 91.3.0 keeps asking how to open attachments

Post by paul2801 »

Since the last update, each time I want to view an attachment, TB asks what to do with it, although the checkbox "from now on do this automatically" is checked. I didn't change anything to the settings for attachments for at least 5 years and it always ran perfectly. The problem started right after the 91.3 update.

This happens for any attachment type. Must be a bug. Anyone having a fix or workaround?

Another inconvenience: since 91.3 the 'attachments ribbon' is not shown if the message panel is not high enough. I use a small height panel under the message list, not to read the message but to see what attachments there are. But in TB 91.3 this ribbon is not shown if the height of the message panel is below a certain value. In previous versions this ribbon was always shown. Now I have to drag the separator up until the message panel is high enough. IMHO the attachments ribbon should always be shown regardless of the height of the message panel.

Note: I use the Dutch language version of TB.
tanstaafl

Re: TB 91.3.0 keeps asking how to open attachments

Post by tanstaafl »

paul2801

Post by paul2801 »

I visited the topic you indicated. Interesting. I checked the list of attachment file types. Only one (seldom used) was set to Always Ask (M4V). I replaced the action by 'use VLC'. Now no file type is left with action Always Ask. This did not solve the problem.

Tanstaafl writes:
The bug was reported 13 years ago but the feature worked correctly for most people for the last ten years, until it broke in version 91. The engineering manager stated in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1725562#c4 (a duplicate bug) "This is a very known issue (bug 453455 which got worse with the move to e10s, I'm told it's super hard to fix)"
I can't imagine how this bug can be difficult to fix. How can testing a single bit be difficult?

I hesitate to install BetterBird because I have thousands of messages and I don't want to lose them. Is it really safe to use it?

I'd rather see a bugfix update of TB, it's a very annoying bug and there seems to be no workaround other than clicking OK many times.
morat

Post by morat »

You can track the issue with the following bug.

Repeatedly asks for app to open attached files, prompts instead of automatically opening
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1690395

For reading only as Bugzilla is not a forum.
paul2801 wrote:Another inconvenience...
I can reproduce the disappearing attachment bar.

Attachments bar invisible when showing all headers
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1694549

Thunderbird 91.3.0 with no addons
Windows 10 Pro 20H2 32-bit