Help with search - for attorney

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
grossdm

Help with search - for attorney

Post by grossdm »

My attorney has requested emails send to or received from a list of people (after a certain date).

The account is hosted by a free, legacy G Suite account.
I know how to search Gmail (I think). Something like:

Code: Select all

({to:sam@example.com from:sam@example.com cc:sam@example.com} after:thisdate)
or possibly:

Code: Select all

({sam@example.com} after:thisdate)
but I can't download the results.

How can I search Thunderbird and save the results (in a manner that I can upload to a cloud drive or provide on a USB drive)?

Have I missed a way to do this in Gmail?

Thanks very much in advance,
Doug

P.S.
Sorry if I missed simple instructions for this. I did search.
DanRaisch

Re: Help with search - for attorney

Post by DanRaisch »

In Thunderbird you could use the message filter functionality to identify all such messages and copy them to a new folder, created for the purpose. You could then use the ImportExportTools NG to export the contents of that folder to the storage location/medium of your choice.

Keep in mind that as you need to find both received AND sent messages you might need to run the filters against both the Inbox and the Sent folder, depending on whether Thunderbird has been set up to "Place replies in the folder of the message being replied to" under Tools->Account Settings->Copies & Folder.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Filters_%28Thunderbird%29
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... ttools-ng/
grossdm

Post by grossdm »

Is the reason that you suggest using message filters that they would allow me to act on the results, but searching would not?

It seems like I would need to run the filters against "All Mail" - I have all the strangeness that Gmail provides.

Thank you very much for the help!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Correct. I believe that using Message Filters will allow you to more easily collect the messages for export.
It was not obvious from your first post that your Gmail account was set up as an IMAP type account so I was not aware that the All Mail "folder" would be available for you to use n the process.
grossdm

Post by grossdm »

I have recently reinstalled Thunderbird, trying to follow the guidance for Gmail IMAP.
I am pretty sure that Thunderbird still claimed to download only one copy of each email message, independent of Gmail's labels/IMAP folders. This does not appear to be the case.
When I have done a small search or opened a message in conversation view, there are duplicate messages. The size of the files in my profile also suggest duplication.

Oh well - my current task is the search I described earlier.
Thanks again.