Folder URIs use superseded IMAP server address problem

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Budgie3

Folder URIs use superseded IMAP server address problem

Post by Budgie3 »

Please could I have some help sorting out my T'Bird installation.

AFAIK my problems stem from when I set up a new machine and used my default profile from an earler machine. This was several years ago. At some point in time later my ISP carried out revisions to their IMAP servers and my IMAP Mail Server name was changed to a new domain etc.

I was able to use the new mail server name and continued as usual without issues and have for a couple of years.

I had noticed in the past that some incoming emails were being received twice on occasions and now, when installing QuickFolders I had a more serious problem with the tabs created my QuickFolders. I had copied the QuickFolders configuration from another machine and this threw up the problem. All the other machines are more recent and do not have any historical profile data.

It seems that the URI for some? or all of my folders in my system are using the old IMAP Mail server address.
I have no idea how this has worked because my account settings are all correct. I suspect the files in the subdirectory /ImapMail.

My request is for help either sorting out the issues or, if I re build, then what info do I copy over from old profile to retain email address books etc. but not repeat the historical anomaly.

Regards,
Budge.
Budgie3

Transferring data to a new profile, updated check list

Post by Budgie3 »

I have been planning to transfer my critical data to a new profile and studying the several articles in the knowledge base. The reference section I am looking at has the title
Identify what you want to salvage
and this continues:-
This article assumes you're using Thunderbird 1.5 or later.

Since I am using Thunderbird version 91.3.2 (64bit) my question is what has changed and is there an updated list of possible salvage topics and correct sequence for applying them to the transfer.
Grateful for any hints and tips please.
Budge.
DanRaisch

Re: Transferring data to a new profile, updated check list

Post by DanRaisch »

I have been planning to transfer my critical data to a new profile
What is your purpose in doing that?? Are you having problems with the current profile?
Budgie3

Re: Transferring data to a new profile, updated check list

Post by Budgie3 »

Yes, since you ask. The URIs in my folders on one laptop are not correct. Several years ago I had copied my default profile from the old installation to a new OS installation and all was, I believed OK. A few years ago however my ISP had changed the IMAP server domain. The changes were made, I do not recall the details, and I continued using the TB client on this machine without any issues but it seems that within the data all my folders the URIs are based on the now superseded IMAP server address. I have no idea how this works beneath the hood because my account settings are correct and use the current server address however when I recently started to use QuickFolders, errors were reported and that is when I discovered the problem. I have thousands of messages which are all on the IMAP server and being used by half a dozen machines without problem. It is only on the one laptop that I have the problem but all the old data is irreplaceable and does not exist on the other machines. My approach is to create a new profile and then import the history, bookmarks and address books.
You did ask.
Is my plan wrong? I cannot think of any way to save the data other than what I propose.
DanRaisch

Re: Folder URIs use superseded IMAP server address problem

Post by DanRaisch »

By "history" are referring to the previously received messages?
Budgie3

Post by Budgie3 »

Sorry, not history, that was my mistake.
I am looking at Add-ons, if any but mainly Address Books, Bookmarks and Calendars.

I just checked my office workstation, which does not have the strange URIs but also lacks all the addresses, bookmarks and calendar and I do have another question. Looking at the profiles I have four default folders, one of which is *.default-release. What does the -release mean and why do I have so many defaults? Pity it is not easy to switch easily. Should I delete some and which is active?
Budgie3

Post by Budgie3 »

Hi Dan,
Any chance of a reply please.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you refer to Bookmarks in regard to Thunderbird. Bookmarks are a browser element.

In regard to address books, the .mab files of older versions of TB have been replaced by sqlite files but if you are moving from version 91.x to 91.x you should be able to simply copy over those files. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3063606

In regard to calendars, are you connecting to a web based calendar or running a strictly local data store?
Budgie3

Post by Budgie3 »

Hi Dan,
Many thanks and yes another apology from me. I have no idea why I had the browser elements in my check list so please ignore.

I do have a question on the address books. Here are the first few address book files in my profile:-

file:///home/alastair/.thunderbird/a3n5p808.default/abook-1.mab.bak
file:///home/alastair/.thunderbird/a3n5p808.default/abook-1.sqlite
file:///home/alastair/.thunderbird/a3n5p808.default/abook-1.sqlite-wal
file:///home/alastair/.thunderbird/a3n5p808.default/abook-1.v2.sqlite
file:///home/alastair/.thunderbird/a3n5p808.default/abook.mab.bak
file:///home/alastair/.thunderbird/a3n5p808.default/abook.sqlite
file:///home/alastair/.thunderbird/a3n5p808.default/abook.sqlite-wal
file:///home/alastair/.thunderbird/a3n5p808.default/abook.v2.sqlite

I assume the .mab files should be ignored as I assume they have all been converted to sqlite. What I am less sure about is which are which amongst the .sqlite books. AFAIK there should be three but the one generated by my personal inputs will be insignificant and not critical. What are the v1, v2, -wal, -1 extensions. Which are the ones to move to a new profile?

On Calendars, some are web based and some were originally local but I know I have been trying to share them. I can do some more work on this now I know how to switch between profiles with the newer versions. Much of what I have read on searches has been superseded which is why I am here as the authority on all things Thunderbird.

I do have some security concerns with the links to Goggle Calendar which we use for our business but will raise these under new thread when I have the profile sorted with the address books working.