Thunderbird 91.3.2 (32-Bit) crashing after start

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird 91.3.2 (32-Bit) crashing after start

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, for the sake of clarity, all of those are extensions, not plugins, and all should be disabled in Troubleshooting Mode.
AnselmD

Post by AnselmD »

DanRaisch wrote:OK, for the sake of clarity, all of those are extensions, not plugins, and all should be disabled in Troubleshooting Mode.
They are disabled in trouble shooting mode, but they are not disabled permanently after executing:

Code: Select all

trouble shooting menue:
disable all add-ons
Make changes and restart
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Correct, troubleshooting mode is only intended to be a way to temporarily disable extensions for testing purposes. When you relaunch in normal mode you can use menu path Tools->Add-ons and Themes and disable individual extensions there.
AnselmD

Post by AnselmD »

In the startup screen of trouble shooting mode you have the choice to make changes permanently, which does not work. To enter it, press shift during the start of thunderbird:

Code: Select all

Use Thunderbird troubleshoot mode to diagnose issues. Your add-ons and customizations will be temporarily disabled.
You can make some or all of these changes permanent:
* Disable all add-ons
* Reset toolbars and controls

Make Changes and Restart		Continue in Troubleshoot Mode		Exit
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

https://crash-stats.mozilla.org/ no longer accepts the crash data. It is now directed to backtrace, which isn't publicly accessible. The crash ID is still valid backtrace.
Last edited by wsmwk on December 1st, 2021, 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

In the startup screen of trouble shooting mode you have the choice to make changes permanently, which does not work.
Have you tried manually disabling the extensions on the Addons and Themes page as I suggested above?
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

sfhowes wrote:The crash-stats site is not accepting new crash IDs

https://crash-stats.mozilla.org/report/ ... c761211127
backtrace.io is now taking Thunderbird crashes, since roughly Nov 16. So the correct link for this crash is https://crash-stats.thunderbird.net/rep ... c761211127
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

The crash report indicates DE and EN-US language packs, the likely cause of the crash.
AnselmD

Post by AnselmD »

DanRaisch wrote:
In the startup screen of trouble shooting mode you have the choice to make changes permanently, which does not work.
Have you tried manually disabling the extensions on the Addons and Themes page as I suggested above?
I am confused. Maybe i was not concrete enough. My issue causing the crash in the preferences was the language pack. After removing it, i am able to open the preferences without any issues.

To answer your question, yes i did, I disabled all extensions manually before i opened this thread - but only the extensions and nothing more. I only want to give the hint that the troubleshooting start menu (which you get pressing shift during start of thunderbird) has an option to disable all add-ons permanently. This does not work for me.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

sfhowes wrote:The crash report indicates DE and EN-US language packs, the likely cause of the crash.
Correct.

Further note, for spell check purposes, you only need the dictionary. Many users make the mistake of thinking they need to install both the language pack and the dictionary, because both are offered on the same panel.