TB 91.4 crashes on exit (new install)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
thunderbilly

TB 91.4 crashes on exit (new install)

Post by thunderbilly »

I am a long time user of TB and over the years have been able to figure out/correct issues with TB. I can't figure out this current issue with 91.4 64 bit which is a new install on a new laptop, Windows 10 pro.

If I go to Tools/Addons and Themes/Extensions and then click on "addons.thunderbird.net", TB opens a new tab called "Loading..." and then does nothing. I can still use TB (mail, calendar, address book) but as soon as I close TB I get the message that TB has crashed with crash details that I send to TB.

The error console doesn't show much, but the crash log does with I have saved to a .txt file. There is this line in the crash log:
- MozCrashReason: MOZ_RELEASE_ASSERT(newBC->GetOpenerId() == parentBC->Id())

I'm not really sure how to decipher the error console and crash log, so I am at a loss at what to do. I've done a lot of searching for days and have tried some suggestions (ie deleting the parent.lock file) but nothing has worked. I have lost track how many times I have installed/removed TB over the last couple of days.

Appreciate any help.

Thanx
DanRaisch

Re: TB 91.4 crashes on exit (new install)

Post by DanRaisch »

If I go to Tools/Addons and Themes/Extensions and then click on "addons.thunderbird.net", TB opens a new tab called "Loading..." and then does nothing. I can still use TB (mail, calendar, address book) but as soon as I close TB I get the message that TB has crashed with crash details that I send to TB.
Does Thunderbird crash if you do NOT click on Themes/Extensions before closing it?
thunderbilly

Post by thunderbilly »

It does not crash.

But I think I figured it out.

So, trying whatever I could think of...comparing files with my old laptop with a working copy of TB of 91, pref.js, config files, folders, etc etc...nothing there really. I installed FireFox thinking maybe some TB install files were corrupted that the FireFox install might correct, and FireFox would not run on first install. Installed a second time and FireFox loaded but could not get a webpage to load. Hmmm...I then decided to compare the registry from the new laptop vs the old and searching on "Mozilla" and "Thunderbird". There were significant differences.

I did a windows reset of the new laptop by d/l from the cloud. All is good now.
thunderbilly

Post by thunderbilly »

DanRaisch wrote:Does Thunderbird crash if you do NOT click on Themes/Extensions before closing it?
Forgot to say...Thanx for responding