Cant get mail from g mail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
rgh43

Cant get mail from g mail

Post by rgh43 »

I have been unable to access my e mail in TB for the last few day's. This has happened before from time to time and then it starts working correctly within a short time. This time it hasn't "just started like it has before."

I can get my mail but I have to use Googles mail program. I’m not a fan of it since it’s not anywhere near as good as the TB program.

When I open TB what I see is a box;
Enter your password for *****@gmail.com on pop.google mail.com:
Blank box to enter password
Use Password Manager to remember this password.
Sign in Cancel

Put in your password then hit enter & it disappears but no new mail loads so you select “Get Messages” you get a new box;

“Sending of password for user *****@gmail.com did not succeed. Mail server pop.google mail
.com responded: Username and password not accepted. Click OK and a new box pops up”

Login to server pop googlemail.com with username *****@gmail.com failed.

Retry Enter New Password Cancel

No matter what new password I enter I keep getting the same message returned.
“Sending of password for user *****@gmail.com did not succeed. Mail server pop.google mail
.com responded: Username and password not accepted. Click OK and a new box pops up”

Now I can send messages but that is it. Any Ideas?
morat

Re: Cant get mail from g mail

Post by morat »

Everytime Gmail stops work, the first thing I do is check my security settings.

Google likes to change your security settings every so often.

More info: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14852324
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

Are you on two-factor authentification? And is the Oauth security protocol being selected both for incoming (IMAP) and outgoing messages (SMTP)?

To check if you use OAuth:
– In the left panel, right-click on your Gmail account and select Parameters. Then look for "Server Parameters"
– In the right panel, under Security, make sure that Connection security is SSL/TLS and authentication is OAuth2

In my case, changing these parameters worked for IMAP but not for SMTP, don't ask me why.

Anyway, if that doesn't work, one trick that works is to make a copy of your profile, delete your Gmail account in Thunderbird (ONLY IF IT IS IMAP), and quit Thunderbird.
Then restart Thunderbird and create a "new" Gmail account. The parameters will correctly be selected and you will then be asked for your password (and a phone confirmation if you are stuck with 2-factor authentification).

Good luckj
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
rgh43

Post by rgh43 »

Michel, You are correct, that is what the problem was, I found under settings it was set as “Normal” but looking under outgoing settings it was OAuth2. Now how that happened I have no idea, it just did all of a sudden and I had not been into the “works” to change anything for some time. Today I took a look at my spare computer and I found the same thing and it wouldn’t let me into my e mail either until I changed the password type. One was normal and the other OAuth2. Thanks for the help.