How To Archive sbcglobal.net emails from Sent Folder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
JGAM

Re: How To Archive sbcglobal.net emails from Sent Folder

Post by JGAM »

Under my list of Folders in the right side panel of Thunderbird, there are two entries of one of my sbcglobal.net sub-accounts.

One says the account name followed by (IMAP). When double clicked, only the Inbox appears, at the same time the error message "Failed to connect to server inbound.mail.att.net" appears in the bottom left corner of the screen

The second listing in the same Folders panel says the same sub-account name but followed by (IMAP)_2 and then the amount of both sent and received emails contained within. When double clicked, this entry lists Inbox, Draft, Sent, Archive, Bulk Mail, Trash.

Should I delete the account with the error message (IMAP) and just use the (IMAP)_2 account?

Also I am no longer receiving emails to my Inbox from my POP sbcglobal.net account. My last email received was 12/13/2021. I am receiving them with my newly created IMAP account for the same sbcglobal.net address though.

Every time I open Thunderbird, the error box "Failed to connect to server inbound.mail.att.net" opens. Please advise.
JGAM

Post by JGAM »

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, thank-you.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You never explained what you did to create the (IMAP)_2 account. However if its working okay and the (IMAP) account isn't there is no harm in deleting the (IMAP) account. You should be able to archive mail from (IMAP)_2 by moving messages/folders into the 'Local Folders" special account.

Thunderbird doesn't know what a subaccount is. It does support multiple identities for an account.

"Every time I open Thunderbird, the error box "Failed to connect to server inbound.mail.att.net" opens. Please advise."

That sounds like you can't connect to the POP server. The IMAP server should be imap.mail.att.net. If the POP server is down that explains why you aren't getting any new mail in your POP account. Its also possible you somehow changed the port or ssl/tls setting to a value that makes the POP server reject the connection. It should explicitly say its rejecting the connection if you try to connect to the wrong port etc. but poor choices of error messages by ISPs is common.

If you're going to use a IMAP account from now on you could just archive any mail you had already downloaded in the POP account and delete the POP account.
JGAM

Post by JGAM »

Again, many thanks for your advice. I also need to know if my sbcglobal.net contacts were archived when I created both the POP and IMAP accounts?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

No, they were not.

Your contacts are global data (not account specific) and stored in database files such as "abook.sqlite" (personal address book) and "history.sqlite" (collected addresses address book) in the top directory of the profile. So archiving an account has no effect on them. An accounts local directory only stores mail and (optionally) account specific message filters.