Why is TB profile so huge?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
windspeed

Why is TB profile so huge?

Post by windspeed »

I have 3 email accounts on my profile and the current total size of all emails, inbox, sent, drafts... all of ém, in 100mb.
Why then is my TB profile nearly 20g?
I know there are address books etc, but 200 times? This is and enormous difference.
Cheers
Chris
DanRaisch

Re: Why is TB profile so huge?

Post by DanRaisch »

What version of Thunderbird?

How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP? In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.

What is the size of the file global-messages-db.sqlite?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Have you emptied the trash and used file -> compact folders on each account? When you delete (or move) a message the original is marked deleted and hidden from view but not physically deleted until you expunge or compact the folder.

I have a 1.8GB profile that includes 8 accounts with the largest accounts being 559MB, 307MB, 166MB and the rest <10MB. All but one are IMAP accounts with offline folders (synch remote and local copy of the folder) enabled.

global-messages-db.sqlite is the largest non-mbox file at 46MB. That file can get corrupted and keep growing to ridiculous sizes. That's why Dan was asking what size it is. The workaround is to exit Thunderbrid, delete global-messages-db.* (there can be both a .sqlite and a .journal file) and restart. global search/index will rebuild the file.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Minimize_the_ ... _a_profile might help.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Files_and_fol ... hunderbird needs updating (some small files were replaced by other small files after version 60) but can be useful.
windspeed

Post by windspeed »

Dan,
Version is 91.5.0.
I am in the process of switching POP3's to IMAP so the actual answer is IMAP's but I still have the old POP accounts on the profile at the moment (not courageous enough to delete the POP's just yet :)
global-messages-db.sqlite is 122mB. No idea what this is so don't know if that's big or small.

tanstaafl,
I'll go through your post this evening when I can concentrate on it without interruptions and reply tomorrow.
Thanks to both of you.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

global-messages-db.sqlite is the pre-built search index used by global search . Its why global search is faster than the two other search methods (classis and quick filter bar) when searching POP accounts. They have to fetch the messages and build the search index every time they do a search.

Its size seems too large for 100MB of mail but wouldn't explain why your profile has swollen to 20GB. Can you use windows explorer to sort the size of all of the files in the profile and identify the 5 biggest files that are not mbox files? Mbox files are files named after the mail folder, that have no file extension, which store the mail for that folder. For example "inbox." is a mbox file for a inbox folder.

The reason I suggest that is you might have a lot of deleted messages that need to be removed by compacting, but I wouldn't expect it be near 19GB.