New version of Thunderbird does not seem to work

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Dioxazine

New version of Thunderbird does not seem to work

Post by Dioxazine »

I've entered my incoming and outgoing server information correctly but when I try to send myself and email Thunderbird throws up and error message. And then it is constantly asking me for my password. I never saw a place that I could enter my password in accounts.
tanstaafl

Re: New version of Thunderbird does not seem to work

Post by tanstaafl »

It helps to explicitly state what version of Thunderbird you are using. I'm going to assume its 91.5.0. Your browsers user agent states NT 6.3 so I assume you're using Windows version 8.1. That's supported, but unusual these days.

When you're prompted for a password there is a checkbox to also save the password. Once you've told it to save it if you ever need to you can edit or delete that value using tools -> preferences -> privacy & security -> saved passwords -> show passwords. Right click on a entry to get a context menu to edit it etc. There is just no way to create a new password using that menu.

What is full text of the error message?

What email provider are you trying to add an account for? POP or IMAP?

Did the new account wizard find configuration information for your email provider in the Mozilla ISP database? It doesn't have any configuration information for web hosts that let you create a email account using a custom domain like HostGator, GoDaddy, DreamHost etc.

If your email provider is using two factor authentication you can't use your normal password (and there is no way to enter the security code). You need to use their web site to create a application specific password and use that with Thunderbird. Google has started to enable 2FA without telling the user in Gmail accounts that meet the requirements (has a cellphone number). If that happens you can either disable it or create the app. password.
Dioxazine

Post by Dioxazine »

I am checking the box that says use Password Manager to remember password. But it keeps asking for it anyway. I send myself a message and click on Inbox and it's asking for a password, even when I just told it my password and I told it to remember it. If I click on Inbox, or Junk, or Drafts, or Trash it keeps asking for a password. This is nuts. When I made an account it never asked me to enter my password. This program is screwed. Password, password, password.

My incoming mail server is an IMAP. My outgoing mail server is SMTP. When I look at the settings I have them typed in there correctly.

Now when I sent myself a message I did not get the error message box, but I never to the message either.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What is full text of the error message?

What email provider are you trying to add an account for?
Dioxazine

Post by Dioxazine »

I'm using Mediacom as they are my email provider. I cannot give you the error message because now it is not coming up when I send an email to myself.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

There is a bug where if you get a hard connection failure the login would always fail (no matter how many times you are asked to enter the password). The workaround is to delete the saved password, exit and restart (since deleted passwords are still in memory) and enter it again when prompted.
Dioxazine

Post by Dioxazine »

I got an error with a new message I tried to send myself:

Sending of the message failed. The message could not be sent because the connection to outgoing server smtp.mediacom.net was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again.

And then it also said this:

Login to server smtp.mediacom.net with username tkangas failed.
Dioxazine

Post by Dioxazine »

I entered my password yet again and now my message appeared in my inbox. But then I got yet another error message:

Login to server smtp.mediacombb.net with username tkangas failed.

Retry Enter new password Cancel
Dioxazine

Post by Dioxazine »

I've been using version 14.0 and that version works better than this newer version.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I ran a SSL test against mail.mediacombb.net using https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/ and it only supports TLS 1 and 1.1. I guess that explains why you can use such a old version of Thunderbird with it. Most browsers and email clients disabled support for TLS 1.0 and 1.1 last year. The latest version of TLS is 1.3.
DavidM6

Post by DavidM6 »

I too am having problems with getting my Gmail or any mail in 91.5, 64-bit for the past 2 days. When Tb starts, I get a message that says can't reach the server. Also, it would not accept my updated password for google. Not knowing if this was this version's issue, I installed 98 Daily, and had no problem putting in my new email and getting said emails. I then removed 91.5 and installed 78, 64-bit. Again, couldn't use it as the profile was created in 91 was not compatible. with older versions. This problem is on my laptop. This laptop is Windows 10 and is 11 compatible. I even found the build site and tried version 92.0. The issue is still in 92.0.
Then I checked my desktop. It too is running 91.5, 64-bit, Windows 10 (but not 11 compatible). This computer did upgrade the password and gets the emails. I mention all this in the hope it is of help to those having this issue and resolving it.
Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated.