GMail Setup Issue

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jsteen714

GMail Setup Issue

Post by jsteen714 »

Cannot get gmail account set up. Thunderbird 91.4.1 64 bit
I have successfully installed on 3 W10 laptops. This is a Windows 10 Home desktop. Windows Defender is running.
I have verified the Gmail account and password by logging in to Gmail in browser on this machine.
I deleted the AppData>Roaming>Thunderbird file before doing a reinstall of TB. The prior profile had multiple Gmail entries although there were no active Gmail accounts.

Google: 2-step verification is on. Access to less secure apps is on. Thunderbird has third-party account access.

I have a screen shot of the account setup w here it hangs checking the password but don't know how to post it. Setting up Gmail account with default IMAP with OAUTH2.

Error Console content (the last Login Helper message repeats multiple times):

Unexpected event profile-after-change URLQueryStrippingListService.jsm:224
observe resource://gre/modules/URLQueryStrippingListService.jsm:224

DEPRECATION WARNING: Calling FileUtils.getDir(..., ..., true) causes main thread I/O and should be avoided especially during startup/shutdown
You may find more details about this deprecation at: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=921157
resource://gre/modules/FileUtils.jsm 81 FileUtils_getDir
resource://gre/modules/UpdateUtils.jsm 831 readUpdateConfig
resource:///modules/MailGlue.jsm 435 _beforeUIStartup
resource:///modules/MailGlue.jsm 333 observe
2 Deprecated.jsm:84

Unknown Collection "thunderbird/query-stripping" RemoteSettingsClient.jsm:160

Successfully loaded OpenPGP library rnp.dll version 0.15.2+git20210806.dd923a4e.MZLA from C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\rnp.dll RNPLib.jsm:92:15

Found 0 public keys and 0 secret keys (0 protected, 0 unprotected) RNPLib.jsm:288:15

Trying to load C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\libotr.dll OTRLib.jsm:64:11

Successfully loaded OTR library C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\libotr.dll OTRLib.jsm:72:13

LoginHelper(Main): Couldn't parse origin for about:accountsetup
Exception { name: "NS_ERROR_FAILURE", message: "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIURI.displayHostPort]", result: 2147500037, filename: "resource://gre/modules/LoginHelper.jsm", lineNumber: 657, columnNumber: 0, data: null, stack: "getLoginOrigin@resource://gre/modules/LoginHelper.jsm:657:7\ngetFormActionOrigin@resource://gre/modules/LoginHelper.jsm:677:17\ncreateFromForm@resource://gre/modules/LoginFormFactory.jsm:62:35\ncreateFromField@resource://gre/modules/LoginFormFactory.jsm:110:19\nstartSearch@resource://gre/modules/LoginAutoComplete.jsm:531:33\n", location: XPCWrappedNative_NoHelper }
jsteen714

Re: GMail Setup Issue

Post by jsteen714 »

TB screen error when adding gmail account:
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If 2FA is enabled you need to create a application password for Thunderbird using google.com and use it instead of the account password.

Oauth2 requires you to enable cookies for google.com and gmail.com in web content "exceptions" in Thunderbird's privacy & security settings
if you disabled "accept cookies from sites". Enabling less secure apps is needed if you use "normal password", but is irrelevant if you used
OAuth2 for authentication.

The OpenPGP error messages should be unrelated.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum
jsteen714

Post by jsteen714 »

Recently uninstalled Juniper and Pulse VPNs (not clean uninstalls). Found Juniper Access Service running. Stopped it.
Have suspected something related to this software.

Could never get OAuth2 to work with App password with or without two step verification.

Eventually, after many tries, I got a message from Google about device sign on and added the device as trusted device. I think this may have been the main problem but for some reason I was not getting this message from Google. The account setup would never complete.

Finally, got it to install specifying Normal Password, using the app password, and two step verification on.