Moving message by filter rule works only partially

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
thoste

Moving message by filter rule works only partially

Post by thoste »

I setup the following filter message rule in TB v91.5.0 (for maildir-based POP account):

Code: Select all

Manually Run=YES
Getting New Mail=YES (filter before Junk Classification)

Match all of the following:
From contains @testdomain
Subject contains Report

Perform these actions:
Move message to specialreports on testuser@mydomain.com
Mark as read
Now when a critical messages arrives in Inbox the following happens
TB COPIES (!) a kind of outer message frame to the specified target folder - Nothing more

So after this the situation is as follows:
- The original source message still appears in Inbox (as unread)
- When I click on it I can see successfully the content (preview)
- Furthermore I can see the copied message in the Message pane as lowest line (as unread) in the target folder "specialreports"
- When I click on it the content pane shows the following error:

File not found

The file mailbox:///D:/mail/Thunderbird/v[x64]/Data/profile/Mail/testuser@mydomain.com/Inbox.sbd/open.sbd/specialreports?number=43 cannot be found. Please check the location and try again.

Check the file name for capitalization or other typing errors.
Check to see if the file was moved, renamed or deleted.

So it seems to me that the move operation is somehow aborted. When a move operation consists of a copy + deletion of source message then only the first part is perfomed.

Why?

The path "D:/mail/Thunderbird/v[x64]/Data/profile/Mail/testuser@mydomain.com/Inbox.sbd/open.sbd/specialreports" exists(!)

For the mentioned filter rule scenario above in happens always.
For other filter rules to other target folders it happens sometimes (~ 5% of all operation).

When I drag & drop the original message from Inbox folder to target folder everything is ok. I can see the content now when I click on one of the two message lines in message pane

This is really strange
tanstaafl

Re: Moving message by filter rule works only partially

Post by tanstaafl »

I manually ran a filter that moved 2 messages with weird subjects from my Gmail IMAP accounts inbox folder to the test child folder. Worked fine. The Gmail IMAP account uses maildir. The filter log had two entries that looked like:

[1/22/2022, 3:55:06 AM] Applied filter "Subject contains: NIL" to message from Eric Moore <my_username@gmail.com> - |@!?|>><<||%$|NIL|| at 10/21/2021, 8:05:23 PM moved message id = 5b2dd17a-2bf2-93e4-e654-785e82e55150@gmail.com to imap://my_username%40gmail.com@imap.gmail.com/INBOX/test

I don't understand why there is a ?number=43 in your URL. I'd have expected a message id. Let me do some testing after I set up a maildir based POP account..