Thunderbird forgets password

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
JimmyBug

Thunderbird forgets password

Post by JimmyBug »

I just upgraded to 91.5.0. The new version will NOT remember the password for my email account. I've looked on this site and elsewhere online for a solution. All the solutions I could find do not work with this version.

Please advise.
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird forgets password

Post by tanstaafl »

Does it store it in tools -> preferences -> privacy&security -> passwords before you exit Thunderbird? I'm wondering if the problem is something prevents it from updating logins.json when it exits. That file requires key4.db and cert9.db to work.

Did you test if it was due to a badly behaving add-on by using help -> troubleshoot mode?
JimmyBug

Post by JimmyBug »

What an evening! I've spent HOURS trying to log in to this site and kept getting caught in an infinite loop of logging in, "return to previous page", and being asked to log in again.

Well, at last I've been able to log in, so, to the issue at hand.

It definitely isn't storing the password. When I check tools -> preferences -> privacy&security -> passwords, the box is empty and blank.

I see key4.db and cert9.db on my computer. The first is dated today, and the second 12/20/20. logins.json is dated 6/11/21.

P.S. I also wrote in about the problem with losing my address files. At least it didn't lose all my stored emails!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Try deleting the pkcs11.txt , cert*.db, key*.db, and secmod.db files in the profile. When you restart it will create the appropriate replacement files for the security module database.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14905525
JimmyBug

Post by JimmyBug »

Whew! Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been unable to login to this forum for a couple of days. I’d login in and immediately be logged out. I found (elsewhere) a suggestion that I check “login automatically” and that seems to work, although I still had to login a second time during this session.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. I deleted the cert*.db and key*.db files and that fixed the problem. I did not find the pkcs11.txt anywhere on my computer.

If others have this issue, perhaps this is something that could be fixed in the next version? I'm using your basic Windows 10 HP laptop, so nothing strange or unusual there.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do . This web site is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla or the Thunderbird project. We're just another user community and the developers don't visit any of the user communities.

I couldn't find a bug report about your problem, but the system is hard to search so its possible I missed it. If you want to file a bug report you can do it at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/home . If you do that please post a link to the bug report afterwards.
JimmyBug

Post by JimmyBug »

Understood. Thanks.