[SOLVED]Merging data file options

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ineuw

[SOLVED]Merging data file options

Post by ineuw »

I used TB in Windows 10, and now I switched to Linux and would like to merge the old Windows TB with Linux TB. I am referring to the data files in /home/ineuw/.thunderbird/whmtnwhc.default-release/Mail/Local Folders. Can this be done?
Last edited by ineuw on January 25th, 2022, 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
DanRaisch

Re: Merging data file options

Post by DanRaisch »

Yes, it can be done as the data files are the same for both versions.
Have you been using the Linux installation of TB to receive new messages that have not been received by the older Windows installation?
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

Yes. I have.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Then you have a more involved process to deal with because the easiest procedure would have been to copy data files from the old Windows installation to the newer Linux profile. If you did that now you might lose any messages that had been received on the Linux side but not on the Windows side.
How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP?
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

It is set up as IMAP. My question is if there is a way that the files be edited to merge the respective files.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

IMAP accounts store the mail in remote folders on the mail server.

However, is there anything unique in the Linux profile other than the contents of Local Folders? You could
just move the contents of Local Folders somewhere safe, copy the contents of the Windows profile over the Linux profile and then move the contents of Local Folders back. That would let you migrate to Linux without having to merge files. All of the account settings that reference a location have both a relative path and a absolute path version of the setting. Thunderbird tries the relative version (use a location relative to the top of the profile rather than fully specifying the location) first so the fact your windows prefs.js has references to drive C: doesn't matter.

There are a few location settings such as the preferred download location that aren't account specific but Thunderbird typically just prompts you for the new value if the old value is unusable. Its usually not a problem. People that dual boot a PC sometimes share the same profile between Linux and Windows.

The local directory setting at the bottom of the Local Folders server settings (right next to a Browse button) specifies the directory it uses. If you're uncomfortable doing this you could export and then import the mail folders from Local Folders using the ImportExportTools NG add-on instead.

You might have an add-on that doesn't work under Linux (though most do) but that's easy enough to delete and try to find a replacement if that occurs.
ineuw

Re: [SOLVED]Merging data file options

Post by ineuw »

Thanks for the info. I had a chance to look at the contents of the folders and files, and merging them is not necessary. I don't have many emails, and just reading the text of the email file is sufficient for my needs. These are all archived inactive emails.