Can't clear cache

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
technodude

Can't clear cache

Post by technodude »

I 'had' a local folder with a ton of email.

I deleted the local folder (stored it elsewhere) so it no longer exists in Thunderbird. This is intentional.

When I search for emails that were in that folder they come up in the results preview (but not in the list view).
I don't want them to show at all.

I have cleared the entire cache through 'Clear recent history' and selecting 'everything'.
I have compacted and repaired the folders I have remaining.

No matter what I do, the old emails in the removed folder still come up within the search.
How the heck do I get rid of that history please? I'm running 91.6.0 (64bit)

Thx
tanstaafl

Re: Can't clear cache

Post by tanstaafl »

Deleting Local Folders may cause you problems later on since some features (such as send later) count on it existing. Its usually better to just keep it minimized in the folder pane and ignore it.

I assume you're using global search. It uses global-messages-db.sqlite as a search index. If you essentially deleted the account behind Thunderbird's back (by editing prefs.js to remove the account and then deleting files in windows explorer) that would explain why it wasn't updated. Try deleting global-messages-db.* and restarting Thunderbird. It will rebuild the search index.

Another possibility is the panacea.dat file. "Mail folder cache of recent folders and visited links. It is also used to store the move-to recent history. It can be safely deleted to resolve various issues."

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Files_and_fol ... hunderbird

You said you're running 91.6.0. I suspect that is a typo as it hasn't been released. 91.5.1 is the next planned update to 91.5.0 .
technodude

Re: Can't clear cache

Post by technodude »

Awesome.

Deleting global-messages-db.sqlite did the trick.

Yep. typo! I'm on 91.5.1 :D

Thx