Thuderbird taskbar icon periodically disappears

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
bigpighodges

Thuderbird taskbar icon periodically disappears

Post by bigpighodges »

Windows 10 ... the taskbar icon for thunderbird periodically disappears and needs to be reinstated. This doesn't happen with other apps including firefox which stays visible. Thunderbird 91.5.1 (32-bit) running on Windows 10 Pro, version 21H1, OS build 19043.1466
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0.

How do I get it to stick to the taskbar?
tanstaafl

Re: Thuderbird taskbar icon periodically disappears

Post by tanstaafl »

Is there a Thunderbird shortcut pinned to the task bar? If its missing you can go to the installation directory , right click on the executable, select "send to -> desktop (create shortcut)" , and then drag the shortcut from the desktop to the task bar.

If there is no shortcut and you didn't configure the application to be pinned to the task bar you normally only see the icon in the taskbar when the process is running.

How are you launching Thunderbird?
Do you exit it or minimize it when you're done using it? There is a "when Thunderbird is minimized move it to system tray" checkbox in tools -> preferences. That can confuse things as the Thunderbird icon can be hidden in the system tray.
sunclad

Post by sunclad »

This is also happening to me and has existed for several of the most-recent updates.

After TB is updated, the icon on the taskbar is disconnected. It no longer reaches the EXE file for TB. In a few instances the taskbar shortcut also lost its image and became a plain white square. This was introduced just a few versions ago. Hard to say why or if this was something to accommodate Win11. In any event, for me it is broken in Win10-21H2.

The only solution is to delete the dead icon from the taskbar, navigate to the TB EXE file in /programs/ or /programs x86/ (depending on whet version you are using, locate the "Mozilla Thundrebird" folder, open and click once on the program icon, then RIGHT CLICK and select PIN TO TASKBAR.

Alternately, create a shortcut while there 9in the program folder) and drag it to the taskbar.

This will restore it until the next update is implemented or they fix it.

It's annoying that we have to fix something with every update.

DMK
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I have shortcuts for a daily build, a beta build, and version 91.5.0 of Thunderbird and also one for Betterbird (a clone of Thunderbird meant to provide more bug fixes). I update the daily build almost every day. I haven't had that problem with any of them. I'm using Windows 10 Home 21H2.

Perhaps its because I'm using real shortcuts that I dragged to the taskbar rather than pining the application to the taskbar.