TB no longer connects to Verizon

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
lovemyfoxy

TB no longer connects to Verizon

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I'm using TB 52.9.1(32)ESR on Win 7 with 3 POP3 accounts. It was the last TB that used XUL extensions. Despite being outdated, it worked well till some time in December, but it no longer connects to Verizon.

With 2 accounts, TB always asks me my password, but it won't accept them. “Login to server smtp.verizon.net failed. Retry, enter new PW, cancel.”

My 3rd account tries to connect in the status bar, then says “Mail server pop.verizon.net responded [SYS/TEMP]Server error—Please try again later.”

I've been using Verizon's webmail for about a month, but it just doesn't work well for my purposes. I have to open each account in a different browser on 2 different computers.

I don't know if the problem is with Verizon, my profile, or my TB program. As Verizon doesn't support TB, I've found that calling them is useless.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
sunclad

Re: TB no longer connects to Verizon

Post by sunclad »

There are multiple threads on this. Verizon.net branded email is either on AOL or yahoo servers since they both owned them at one time. You must used a special 3rd party password that you have to generate in your AOL account settings to use TB as a recognized app. Server settings may also be a factor and they have a page that outlines that. You will end with one password to login by web browser (main password) and now a specific app password to be using as the login password.

With that noted, my own VZ branded mail appears to be throttled to the point that I cannot conduct all of my needs in one sitting. After moving some mail between folders it times out. I have to wait 10 mins and log in a second time to do things like empty spam or empty trash. The web browser access is not impacted by this but 3rd party programs such as Thunderbird and Seamonkey are experiencing this. It's on their end, either as a mistake or an inconvenience to force you to use their web site with their ads.

Worth noting that Verizon, which owned AOL and Yahoo, sold their holdings to a company called "Global" a few months ago. Suspicious changes.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14916059

Are you using the application specific password or the same password as webmail? I believe you need to use a application specific password with a email client with Verizon/AOL.

Verizon is now using AOL mail servers and apparently its become unreliable. Given AOL's history of problems I suggest you think about getting free accounts with gmail or outlook.com.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Tanstaafl--
The AOL webmail works perfectly within the known limitations of webmail; my problem is with Thunderbird, which I've been using for these accounts 15 years or more. I changed the PW at some point, but it's the same one I use on AOL/Vz.

It's impractical for me to use gmail or outlook.com. Just as I'm doing now with AOL webmail, I have to open each account in a separate browser on 2 diff computers. I use the Verizon addresses for my 2 most important accounts, and can't change them. I'm registered with dozens of companies I work for, over 100 websites and all my personal mail.

sunclad--
Are you saying I have to change my PW in TB? Different from the one I use in AOL? Then why isn't TB telling me all 3 accounts have a wrong PW?

I set up these accounts long ago, 15 or more years ago. Do you know where I can set up a new PW or see new server settings?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Did you read http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14916059 ?

Things have changed with Verizon/AOL. A lot of ISPs have been increasing their security the last few years.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Thanks, just read that thread. Is it saying I need to use the same PW in TB and webmail? I already do that, and it's a 16-character alphanumeric. Or do I need to get a new PW in AOL, and then change the one in TB to match?

(It's laughable that Verizon is worrying about security, when it already know the contents of all my email and browsing history.)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You need to get a second password called a application specific password that you use just for Thunderbird. The name varies with some ISPs, AT&T I think calls it a security key for example.

You continue to use your existing password with webmail. The additional password that you need to create is only for Thunderbird.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Change all my PWs in TB. It's not saving them, and asks each time I login. But it's still not connecting to Vz. I'm still getting "Sending of password for [name of account] did not succeed. [SYS/TEMP server error--please try again later." Then I get the timeout message.

At another site, in a tutorial for changing your PW , the PW box should say "_Use PW Manger to save PW" But I don't have that.

Do you think it would help to upgrade my TB?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1699524 is about a similar error (Sending of password for user name@verizon.net did not succeed. Mail server pop.verizon.net responded: [SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later.). It was closed as it was decided that it was not due to a bug in Thunderbird. It seems to have two causes. One is not enabling "use less secure apps" in the email providers security page if you use "normal password". The second is their Mcafee firewall was buggy.

I doubt updating Thunderbird would help. I suspect you're just not configured correctly.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

tanstaafl:...
One is not enabling "use less secure apps" in the email providers security page if you use "normal password". The second is their Mcafee firewall was buggy.
I doubt updating Thunderbird would help. I suspect you're just not configured correctly."
=======================================

It's been configured the same way for at least 15 years without login issues. And I don't use McAfee. So my guess now is that the problem is Verizon.

Just read through that Bugzilla thread. I already tried turning off my firewall, which is MS Security Essentials.

Thanks for your time, anyway. :)