Filter action failed - error code=0x8055000f

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Iton

Filter action failed - error code=0x8055000f

Post by Iton »

Hello, dear Thunderbird community!

My Thunderbird 91.8.1 (64-bit), portable installation*, has problems with some filters for incoming e-mail:

The received e-mail resides in the Inbox.

If I click on the line representing that e-mail in the destination folder, the following content is being displayed:
"
File not found
The file mailbox:///.../Data/profile/Mail/pop.gmail.com/---.sbd/---?number=16 cannot be found. Please check the location and try again.
Check the file name for capitalization or other typing errors.
Check to see if the file was moved, renamed or deleted.
".

Filter Log contains following data:
"
[--.04.2022, --:--:--] Filter action failed: "Move failed" with error code=0x8055000f
while attempting: Applied filter "..." to message from ... moved message id = ... to mailbox://.../.../...
[--.04.2022, --:--:--] Filter action failed: "Failed applying the filter action" with error code=0x8055000f
while attempting: Applied filter "..." to message from ... moved message id = ... to mailbox://.../.../...
[--.04.2022, --:--:--] Message from filter "...": Applying filter actions failed
[--.04.2022, --:--:--] Filter run failed
"

What can be done here to solve this problem?

*Edit: portable installation
tanstaafl

Re: Filter action failed - error code=0x8055000f

Post by tanstaafl »

1. What does ---?number=16 refer to? Normally mail folders are stored using mbox files which mean they are named after the folder and have no file extension. For example "inbox." is the mbox file that stores mail for a inbox folder.

2 It seems to be referencing a child of the inbox, not the inbox, as the source. That doesn't make sense if you are using a message filter for the inbox.

version="9"
logging="yes"
name="copy trash"
enabled="yes"
type="17"
action="Copy to folder"
actionValue="mailbox://nobody@Local%20Folders/Inbox"
condition="AND (subject,contains,Trash)"

is an example of a filter copying a message in the inbox folder from my Fastmail account to the inbox in "Local Folders"

The filter log shows:

[4/29/2022, 3:24:20 PM] Applied filter "copy trash" to message from Foxfire Property Management <XXXXXX@calibersoftware.email> - Trash Compactor is working at 4/29/2022, 2:12:06 PM copied message id = 5Lu05IR5TVmRUKl0MMqxgA@geopod-ismtpd-4-1 to mailbox://nobody@Local%20Folders/Inbox

3. It would help if you copied and pasted the contents of the msgFilterRules.dat file and the path for the profile.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 367438#c27 says "Looks like 0x8055000f is NS_MSG_ERROR_WRITING_MAIL_FOLDER" . One of the comments references https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=931303#c43 which talks about something is deleting the *.msf files.

Check that your *.msf files for those folders still exist. They are supposed to be automatically re-created if they don't exist. You might try using "repair folder" in the folders properties in the folder pane.
Iton

Post by Iton »

1. The "..." and "---" are my replacements for names of subfolders.
I use the setting "Account Settings/Server Settings/Message Storage/Message Store Type: 'file per message (maildir)' ".
Therefore all e-mails are stored in folders in .eml-files.
What this "?number=16" refers to I do not know.

2. The filter file does not looks suspicious: there are only types "1" and "65".

3. The installation is portable and works properly after two years. The problem described here is the first problem after all updates.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

On my PC a Gmail POP account using maildir does not have a *.sbd directory as part of the path to the inbox. For example C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\i2h0a3a2.default-release\Mail\pop.gmail.com\Inbox has cur and tmp child directories with the *.eml files in the cur directory. It created a inbox.sbd child directory only after I created a xyz child folder for the inbox folder.

I don't have any problems running a message filter with that account.

Its not clear to me if "File not found" and the error mentioning ---.sbd/ are about the source or the destination. That why I ask questions such as why is there is a *.sbd reference , and ask for a copy of the contents of the msgFilterRules.dat file and the path for the profile. I'm not aware of any reason why you would need to protect that information, normally somebody is only concerned about keeping usernames, passwords and email addresses private.

If you want help from another user sometimes you have to answer what you might consider stupid questions.