TB 91.9 32 bit get stuck on the same email coming down. - Ju

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Starlite

TB 91.9 32 bit get stuck on the same email coming down. - Ju

Post by Starlite »

Hi,

Have 91.9 32 bit with Win 10 Pro 2!H1 19043.1645

A few days ago we stopped getting our usual 150 emails down, as just the same email came down repeatedly.

Slowly but repeatedly.

It is not the ISP as the emails come down on other boxes and mobiles, it is just this PC box.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

oz
DanRaisch

Re: TB 91.9 32 bit get stuck on the same email coming down.

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP?
In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Thanks for the reply.

Yes it is a pop setup.

It is only the same email that comes down, repeatedly.. maybe 50 times now.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Is there anymore suggestions of what might be going wrong?

I get the mail on my phone but not on this PC.

I have checked the ISP main account and there is mail there.

Every now and then the same email comes down from 3.01am 4/5/22

When I 'Get Messages' it just says Checking Inbox for new messages, the No messages to download. But there are messages to download !
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The first thing I'd try is log into webmail using a browser and delete that message. If it doesn't exist anymore it shouldn't get downloaded again.

You could also experiment with setting "fetch headers only" and click on the link embedded in the message body of other new messages to download the messages contents. Seems unlikely to workaround the problem but its quick and easy to try.

The search index used by global search/indexing can get corrupt and cause Thunderbird to keep fetching messages again though usually it doesn't download just one message repeatably. You could try deleting global-messages-db.* in the profile and restart Thunderbird. It will build the index again.

If that doesn't help (perhaps it repeatably downloads the next new message instead) one possibility is that the popstate.dat file used to record what messages have been downloaded is corrupt. Normally its too time consuming to fix it by editing it but if its a single message its worth trying. You need to use Control-U or view -> message source to look at the raw message source and find the X-UIDL header near the top of the message source. That information is needed to identify the message. See the hacking section in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popstate.dat for more instructions.

However if the problem just switches to another new message you might need to delete the popstate.dat file and restart Thunderbird. That will destroy all record of what has been downloaded, so it will try to delete everything again one more time.

An alternative solution would be to move all of the POP accounts mail to folders in the "Local Mail" account, add a IMAP account, delete the POP account, and create a message filter that automatically copied new mail to the inbox in Local Folders. That should eliminate the repeated download problem, while letting you have a copy of the message safely stored on your hard disk.

Is there anything on your PC that intercepts Thunderbird's connection to the mail server such as a proxy server or a anti-virus scanner or security software that scans the messages?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"When I 'Get Messages' it just says Checking Inbox for new messages, the No messages to download. But there are messages to download !"

That's usually due to either running into a hourly/daily bandwidth limit imposed by your email provider (Gmail does this) or a captcha. However if you can download additional new mail using a smartphone that seems to rule both out.

Its possible to have a logjam where Thunderbird keeps trying to download a new message but fails because its a "bad" message (usually due to problems with an attachment). Thunderbird isn't smart enough to complain and then skip over it to download the next message. The normal workaround is to read and then delete the "bad" message using webmail and then let Thunderbird try again.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Thank you. I will try those options.

I have tried Safe mode, cleared Cache etc and cold boot PC and all obvious solutions but still no go.

I will go check that message and delete it from the primary server.

I have disabled Avast and there is nothing else in the way that I know of.

I will try and 'circle back' as someone keeps saying !
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Amazing !

While I was reading your pots I had TB in Safe Mode again and when I went back to it, saw 3 days mail come down.

Sent a test out and it just came in, so it looks like it is now fine.

Still not sure what was causing it, but somehow maybe that repeat message which was Spam BTW , was corrupt.

All good now.

Thanks for the help.