How to delete saved emails.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
oldyellr

How to delete saved emails.

Post by oldyellr »

I often save emails to one of my document folders. But when the email is no longer needed, I can't delete it. If I save an email to the wrong folder by mistake, I can move it to the correct folder, but the first saved email still remains in the wrong folder, so now there are two. How can I delete saved emails? Windows 7, Thunderbird 91.9.0 (32-bit).
DanRaisch

Re: How to delete saved emails.

Post by DanRaisch »

How are you saving those emails?
Are you trying to delete those save messages from within Thunderbird or from the OS level?
oldyellr

Post by oldyellr »

I click on the email, select Save As, and save it to a folder in My Documents as an .eml file. I then delete the message in Thunderbird. But I can't delete these files later.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

When I save a message as a .eml file if I right click on it in file explorer and select properties I can see in the security tab that I have full access to it (can delete, write, read etc.). The read-only and hidden attributes (in general tab) are not set.

What do you see?

What is the text of the error message you get when you try to delete that file?
oldyellr

Post by oldyellr »

I see the same properties, but "delete" is not among them. When highlight the file and press the delete key, nothing happens. When I right click it, Delete is not among the options. But when I right click and select Open file location, a window opens with the files as icons and the one I want highlighted, and I CAN delete it. Problem solved.