Timeout issue with yahoo mail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Zosimos

Timeout issue with yahoo mail

Post by Zosimos »

There has been a problem for some time with Thunderbird and Yahoo mail. It loads the mail OK initially, but after less than a minute you cannot click on any of your folders and have it check those. It will show messages in the status bar about 'checking server capabilities' and then say that Yahoo servers have closed the connection. You have to literally close the client and re-start it to be able to check any further for mail.

Why would this happen with Yahoo and not other services? I can access Gmail just fine without having to close and restart every time I want to check my folders.
tanstaafl

Re: Timeout issue with yahoo mail

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm in NH. My Yahoo IMAP account works okay (no errors) though it is very slow. I'm using Comcast/Xfinity as my ISP.

All of Yahoo's servers are in California, and IMHO they're not a good email provider anyways. Over the years there are lots of admin errors on their part that get fixed a couple of days later. You don't see that type of behavior with Gmail or Outlook. Google has 14 data centers just in the USA, plus more worldwide. They even have one in Ohio.

edit: I was mistaken about the data center locations. They have four in the USA. The nearest one to me is in Lockport, New York
BuddhaNature

Re: Timeout issue with yahoo mail

Post by BuddhaNature »

@Zosimos

See the post I just made here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14926435

Try that setting and see if your connection issues improve a bit. (Report back here if they do.)