"Sent" file empty since 6/3

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
sjw54

"Sent" file empty since 6/3

Post by sjw54 »

I have four email addresses in T-bird. Two are Verizon and two are Gmail. The main one I use all the time...I just realized that the 'sent' folder is empty since 6/3/22 and I have sent lots of emails from that address. Not sure if it is a Gmail issue or T-Bird...I went to retrieve a couple of sent emails and realized there are none since the 3rd. Not sure what to do...where could they be? There in no way to 'refresh' T-bird that I know of, if that would even help.

Thank you if you have any ideas!!!
tanstaafl

Re: "Sent" file empty since 6/3

Post by tanstaafl »

Gmail smtp servers automatically save a copy of a sent message in Sent Mail, so you need to be careful not to enable "place a copy in" in the Copies & Folders settings for Gmail accounts or you get two copies. The "Sent" folder for the Gmail account was probably created by default when the account was created as the Mozilla ISP database doesn't let a email provider specify what sent folder to use when creating an account.

I suggest you also double check what smtp server each account is configured to use.

What email provider does your Verizon account use?
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Verizon uses Aol. It is only the last couple of days that the 'sent file' is empty. When I go directly to Gmail through my Chrome Browser the sent emails are missing only for this morning. In TBird they are missing since 6/3/22 evening. No sent emails since then. I am not so good with computers so not sure I understand what you wrote above. Am I making any sense? Geez...I have to find someone to translate what you wrote.....but I have changed no setting at all....
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

So there is no refresh option with t-bird? The sent emails are now appearing if I leave T-bird and go directly to Gmail. When Mozilla sends out emails with the fixes they have worked on, how do they find out about what needs fixing? Perhaps this is something their team needs to work on.
A refresh, but also missing 'sent' emails....how does someone notify them?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP?
In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Server Type POP mail. I just don't understand why anything would change right out of the blue!!! There was a Tbird update then, and I have not checked my sent mail since then either.....
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

In Thunderbird, under menu path Tools->Account Settings-Copies & Folder for the problem Gmail account, what is selected under "Place a copy in:"?
If you right click on the name of the Sent folder for that particular Gmail account and select "Properties" from the context menu and then click on "Repair Folder", do the Sent messages reappear?
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

"My sent emails from one of my accounts do not appear in the "Sent" folder for that account. Instead, the sent emails appear in the "Sent" folder for another one of my profiles in Tbird. This other profile is not an email address, but it is linked to the email address in question. I would like my sent emails to appear in the "Sent" folder under the main email rather than another profile. Is there a way to fix this?"
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Check to see what is selected under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Copies & Folders for that problem account. It sounds as though it might be pointed to the other address.
How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP? In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Dan, once again I thank you.....that fixed it. You are a genius!!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.