Thunderbird is showing old password in it's gui for gmail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
extent

Thunderbird is showing old password in it's gui for gmail

Post by extent »

As above, yet thunderbird still manages to log in. If I change the password within thunderbird to the correct newer one to test (within tools>preferences) I will receive a gmail pop up asking for the correct password, as gmail believes it is wrong.
I should add that for this gmail account I managed to 'allow thunderbird' security-wise, and given I have more than one other device able to log into this gmail account, all using a newer password, I can only assume the new password is definitely stored in thunderbird, but just doesn't show up in the gui. This is surely a bug of some sort. I am using 91.10.0 32bit on win 10.
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird is showing old password in it's gui for gmai

Post by DanRaisch »

What option is selected for Authentication method for that account in that password display panel?
extent

Post by extent »

For imap.gmail.com 993, it's OAuth2. oauth://accounts.google.com (https://mail.google.com/)

Reinstalling to another location might fix it anyway if the security-auth set up is correct, given it has been updated to that same location for a fair while. I can't rule out something in that folder (or windows itself) being the cause of any issue.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Moved from Thunderbird Bugs to Thunderbird Support as you are not describing workarounds for a bug reported in Bugzilla.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Several people have reported that the password saved from "normal password" authentication causes problems with using OAuth2 authentication. Its recommended you delete the saved Gmail passwords, exit and restart.
Code Name

Post by Code Name »

Same here with Gmail account - Sending of password for user xxx@gmail.com did not succeed. Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Username and password not accepted.

I've deleted and re-entered my Gmail password. I checked all server (incoming & outgoing) settings - ports, authentication method, security, etc. Still No luck!
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Are cookies enabled? Thunderbird needs to be able to create a accounts.google.com cookie in order to create a token. Otherwise it fails in various ways.

Also check if anything else is using localhost (127.0.0.1) such as a local web server, XMPP or AVG Mail Shield.