MS Surface Pro6, send link, not getting Thunderbird?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Flycaster

MS Surface Pro6, send link, not getting Thunderbird?

Post by Flycaster »

Thunderbird 91.10 is fully functional on my MS Surface Pro6 (Windows 11). However, when in Firefox and wanting to send a link via email (selecting send email from context menu brought down by right clicking), it appears that an MS window appears instead of a TB window. I only want to be directed to TB and not a MS email client. What do I have Thanks.
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
tanstaafl

Re: MS Surface Pro6, send link, not getting Thunderbird?

Post by tanstaafl »

In about:preferences#general find the Application section and edit the mailto entry to choose "Use Thunderbird (default)". It might also help to make Thunderbird your default email client, if having MAPI call Thunderbird instead of Outlook doesn't cause you a problem. I'm referring to an application like MS Word making MAPI calls to send a message using the default email client.
Flycaster

Re: MS Surface Pro6, send link, not getting Thunderbird?

Post by Flycaster »

Thanks, Tanstaafl. As usual, you have helped me put my bottle of Valium away. Interestingly, although I have had the Surface for a while, this was the first time that I had a link "mailed to" MS Mail instead of Thunderbird. Either I never used the mail to function before, or the default changed to MS Mail when I recently loaded on Windows 11??? As far as I can see, TB always has been set up as my default email client.
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender