get accidentally deleted ThunderbirdPortable running again?!

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
bodobob

get accidentally deleted ThunderbirdPortable running again?!

Post by bodobob »

Hallo
Due to a stupid mistake with robocopy, my Thunderbird Portable (56.??), which I had been using for a long time (30K mails), including backups, was deleted.
With Recover software I was able to recover the "profile" folder and an infinite number of caches, among other things. I can't say whether all files are complete
How do I get TBP running again?
Preferably with all settings, etc., if not then I'm also satisfied with the access (import) of the complete mails.

Up until now I had downloaded the current TBP (91.??) and installed it in a separate folder, then copied the entire "profile" folder under "data".
At the first start, however, only the new device came (with connection problems to pop3 at web.de).

Thanks at first...

bodobob

P.S.: The recovering software has created several directories with the contents of "profile".I used the complete seams...

[img]\Tree_ThunderbirdPort.1bodobobJPG.JPG[/img] [img]\Tree_ThunderbirdPort_2bodobob.JPG[/img]
tanstaafl

Re: get accidentally deleted ThunderbirdPortable running aga

Post by tanstaafl »

The settings are in prefs.js in the profile. If you installed Portable Thunderbird again and copied the profile to its data directory it should work, if the profile was intact. Do you have a backup of that file? If not you might need to create a new profile. You could use the ImportExportTools NG add-on to import any folders from your old profile, if you can't figure out what to copy manually between the two profiles.

I can't see the image you tried to post as its treated as if its a local file. Try uploading an image to https://postimages.org and using the link it provides you.
bodobob

Post by bodobob »

For whatever reason, I can't upload any files here. The pictures were the tree view from the "profile" directory, since I don't have a comparison.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_p ... d#See_also confused me. Unfortunately, it also got / deleted all my backups (happened during the backup :( ).
Image Image

Do I first have to install and set up a version / create a profile and after then copy my "profile" to "Data"?

I have 4 e-mail addresses which I maintain with my Thunderbird profile. (pop3 to safe as backups)
If my full profile is not accepted, what files do I need to copy or import so that I can at least access my older mail?
By the way: where are the categories stored and how can I transfer them to another user installation?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You should be able to safely delete the cache* , crashes* and datareporting* directories. Thunderbird will create a single replacement for each.

Keep the extensions directory and get rid of the extensions directories with a numeric suffix.

Keep the ImapMail directory and get rid of the ImapMail directories with a numeric suffix.

You may have multiple copies of prefs.js, with some sort of numeric suffix. Keep just prefs.js.

When everything is working again make a backup. It could be as simple as copy and paste the directory tree to a usb/flash drive.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The most important files to recover if you need to make a new profile are prefs.js (your settings), your address books (abook.sqlite, history.sqlite), your downloaded mail and your calendar data (if you have any). But I would first try to just clean up the extra junk from your profile.
bodobob

Post by bodobob »

Thanks to your support :)
I got it up and running with ThunderbirdPortable_52.8.0_* and ImportExportTools 3.3.2. (not with the current version 9x.xx.)
Mails from the months of March and April are (still) missing.

Is there a tool with which I can search for and select individual mails from MBox files (from the umpteen restored versions) and import them into the running Thunderbird?

I have problems with sending and receiving emails with my Gmail account, I can't connect with Thunderbird to gmail- Server (maybe OAuth??).
So far I have also used pop3 here, so that I still have mails even if they are deleted in the Gmail server.
Because as I understood imap, they are only on the server, which is full at some point, and I access e.g. with Thunderbird only to the directory of the server, but are not physically in my Thunderbird/PC.
Or am I wrong?
I have to keep mails for at least 10 years.

By the way: Where are the keywords (importend, later...) stored and how can I import them into another profile, for example (e.g. into a parallel backup Thunderbird profile or other User, create one and use it in several)?
The same for filters.

Then i want use my google calendar and contacts (from cell- phone) with Thunderbird (one calendar and contacts for all). How??

thx and regrads
bodobob
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"I have problems with sending and receiving emails with my Gmail account, I can't connect with Thunderbird to gmail- Server (maybe OAuth??)."

Gmail dropped support for "normal passwords" for third party email clients. Most people use OAuth2 authentication instead. You could use OAuth2 with IMAP accounts with 52.8 but OAuth2 with POP accounts requires a later version (I think its 68). You could use a application specific password with your POP account, however that requires two step verification to be enabled. See https://www.lifewire.com/get-a-password ... -2-1171882

IMAP accounts store the message on the server. Gmail has a 15GB mailbox that gets shared between mail, google drive and google photos. https://support.google.com/mail/answer/9312312?hl=en

"Is there a tool with which I can search for and select individual mails from MBox files (from the umpteen restored versions) and import them into the running Thunderbird?"

I can't think of one right now. It would be easier to import the mbox into "Local Folders" using the add-on and search for the messages you want to copy .

"Where are the keywords (importend, later...) stored and how can I import them into another profile,"
I think you are talking about tags. Their definitions are stored in the prefs.js file that stores all of your settings.

"Then i want use my google calendar and contacts (from cell- phone) with Thunderbird (one calendar and contacts for all). How??"

Use the CardDAV and CalDAV protocols to connect to remote address books and calendars respectively. That is what your cell phone probably uses too.

If you use 91.11.0 you might want to use the TBSync add-on plus the CardDAV/CalDAV add-on at https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... nc/?src=ss , though you could rely upon just the built-in support.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ne ... tion-added

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cr ... -calendars