"TB can't update to the latest version..."

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Kent Slimm

"TB can't update to the latest version..."

Post by Kent Slimm »

This pop-up appears once a day, along with an offer to "download a fresh copy of TB" -- even though I already have the latest version (91.10) on my Windows 10 computer. I finally gave in and reinstalled the program, but the messages continue to arrive every evening. My search for information turned up a thread suggesting the problem involved a conflict between TB and Bitdefender antivirus. But I don't have that program.

Anyone else getting these messages? Any ideas for how to make them stop?
tanstaafl

Re: "TB can't update to the latest version..."

Post by tanstaafl »

It sounds like Thunderbird downloaded an update into the updates folder tree and it can't install. Use help -> more troubleshooting information and click on the open folder button next to "update folder". On my PC that is C:\ProgramData\Mozilla-1de4eec8-1241-4177-a864-e594e8d1fb38\updates\75C51F26560D0CE7 . Its no longer C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Thunderbird\updates (location changed sometime around version 68)

That will open file explorer at that directory. It will contain several child directories used by Firefox and Thunderbird. By opening the updates.xml file in each child directory using notepad.exe you should be able to figure out which one is for Thunderbird.

Delete that directory and it will forget all about the need to update Thunderbird. It will create a new directory as needed when there genuinely is another new version to update to.
Kent Slimm

Post by Kent Slimm »

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I deleted what I hope is the correct updates folder. By tomorrow night I should be able to see whether it worked.
Kent Slimm

Post by Kent Slimm »

Alas, the same message popped up tonight. When I checked the update directory again, all that remains are a 3-year-old folder called "update-config.json" and an xml file from about a month ago just called "updates." Is it worth deleting either of these, or should we look in a different direction to solve the problem?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

AFAIK there is no harm in deleting the parent "updates" directory if you have problems identifying the correct child directory. It might help to also choose "check for updates, but let me choose whether to install them" until you've decided you really do want a newer version, but normally you don't need to do that too.

I don't know if there will be a 91.11.0 or not. 102 is expected to be released in about 2 weeks. What they typically do is make a new major version available only on thunderbird.net as a setup program for a couple of weeks and if they don't run into many problems, then release it via the automated update mechanism. Even there they frequently don't make it available to everybody initially but only enable it for certain geographic regions. If that has no major problems then they make it available for everyone.
Kent Slimm

Post by Kent Slimm »

"Check for updates but let me choose..." is already selected, and it didn't prevent this problem.
It's not that I'm being offered an update I don't want; it's that (1) I'm being told I'm unable to update (for some reason) even though (2) I'm already fully updated.
I'll certainly accept v. 102 when it's released, but is there any reason to think that whatever is causing this glitch will disappear once it's installed?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you exit Thunderbird and then delete the updates tree Thunderbird has no knowledge there is an ongoing attempt to update when you start it again. You just deleted its memory of what's going on, and the actual downloaded update.
bob c

Post by bob c »

you should put the entry into the registry to disable updates by your administrator.. and then download whatever numbered update you want from here--https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/--and install it yourself.. Only way I do it. Complete control
Kent Slimm

Post by Kent Slimm »

Well, I deleted the entire updates folder and I'm afraid it didn't help. The same message appeared tonight. Clearly something else is causing it. But what?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

What is app.update.channel set to in the config editor?

I'm running a beta build so its set to beta. Yours should be set to release. The reason I ask is even if you are running a release build if its using another channel it will also detect additional new versions that aren't meant for the release channel.

If you're using the right channel and you removed the update tree all that I can think of is to create a policy in the windows registry to prevent it from checking for new versions like Bob suggested , to rename the updater.exe program in the program directory (so that it isn't run) or to try Betterbird (a soft fork of Thunderbird that exists just to add bug fixes that the Thunderbird project is slow to implement).

Betterbird doesn't use Mozilla's update mechanism (so it should solve your problem), but can use the same profile. You need to select it via clicking on about:profiles in help -> more troubleshooting information, finding the profile, and clicking on the associated set as default profile button if you don't install BetterBird in the Thunderbird installation directory. I've used BetterBird extensively, if it wasn't for the fact I'm currently testing the Thunderbird 102 Beta I'd probably be using it again right now.

I suggest you try the registry policy fix first. Renaming updater.exe might just give you a different error message.

See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1314978 and https://www.betterbird.eu
lenny2

Post by lenny2 »

tanstaafl wrote:, to rename the updater.exe program in the program directory (so that it isn't run)
updater.exe updater.ini update-settings.ini Deleting these files does not cause an error for me.
Why not turn off the update check? policies.json

Code: Select all

{
  "policies": {
    "AppUpdateURL": "http://0.0.0.0",
    "DisableAppUpdate": true,
    "DisableFeedbackCommands": true
  }
}
tanstaafl wrote:Betterbird doesn't use Mozilla's update mechanism
And that doesn't make it flawed.
Last edited by lenny2 on June 28th, 2022, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

That should work too but I didn't think of it at the time. Apparently you need to create a "distribution" (no quotes) child directory in the Thunderbird installation directory and copy the policies.json file there.

Supposedly errors in the file are reported on the page "about:policies" . I don't see a link to that in help -> more troubleshooting information. That URL works in Firefox though.

https://blog.gnu-designs.com/deploying- ... -features/

https://klaus-hartnegg.de/gpo/2018-05-2 ... icies.html
lenny2

Post by lenny2 »

tanstaafl wrote:Apparently you need to create a "distribution" (no quotes) child directory in the Thunderbird installation directory and copy the policies.json file there.
Yes, that's right.
Kent Slimm

Post by Kent Slimm »

Update channel is already set to "release."
I appreciate your help, but the suggestions in the last few messages here may be a bit advanced for me.
What are the chances that v. 102 will solve this?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Unlikely. The odds are that there is something wrong with your configuration.

What can we do to help?