"TB can't update to the latest version..."

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Kent Slimm

Re: "TB can't update to the latest version..."

Post by Kent Slimm »

I appreciate the offer. Maybe step-by-step instructions that even someone unused to rooting around in the registry can follow?
lenny2

Post by lenny2 »

Kent Slimm wrote:I appreciate the offer. Maybe step-by-step instructions that even someone unused to rooting around in the registry can follow?

Code: Select all

{
  "policies": {
    "AppUpdateURL": "http://0.0.0.0",
    "DisableAppUpdate": true,
    "DisableFeedbackCommands": true
  }
}
1\ Copy this code, paste it into Notepad and save it as policies.json (not policies.json.txt, but policies.json).
2\ In the folder where thunderbird.exe is located, create a folder named distribution and put policies.json in it.
3\ Start Thunderbird, it will not check for updates, and in About you will see the following
This is enough.
4\ Additionally, you can delete three files from the folder where thunderbird.exe is located: updater.exe, updater.ini, update-settings.ini (I always delete them).
Last edited by lenny2 on June 28th, 2022, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kent Slimm

Post by Kent Slimm »

Thanks very much for this. And once I disable updates (in order to block a daily message that doesn't make sense), how will I learn about and receive actual updates?
lenny2

Post by lenny2 »

You will learn from the Internet, once a month go to the forum and read the news. Then download and install over the top. I assure you, nothing will happen to you or your computer and emails.
I used v38 for 10 years and it was only the combination of gmail+OAuth2 that made me upgrade. Other users still use v38 http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14932136
If you don't like this approach, create a new profile in TB and the problem will go away.
Kent Slimm

Post by Kent Slimm »

OK, thanks. Another very basic question, since I've never had cause to mess around with profiles: Is it complicated to create a new one, and will it affect my message archives?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

1. Its not hard to create a new profile. Go to help -> more troubleshooting information , click on the about:profiles link and in the popup press the "create a new profile button". The problem is what to do with the new profile. Its meant to store all of your data - your settings, address books, add-ons, saved passwords, downloaded mail etc.

If you select a empty profile (press the nearby "set as default profile" button in about:profiles) when you launch Thunderbird again it will launch the new account wizard which will prompt you to add accounts. If you're using version 102 you can use tools -> import to import data from one profile to another. Otherwise the easiest thing to do is to exit Thunderbird and copy the complete contents of the old profile (without copying the directory itself) to the new profile.

Its easier to create a new profile, exit Thunderbird and copy the complete contents of the old profile into the new profile. Then go back to about:profiles and press the associated "set as default profile" button.

This begs the question of why do you want to create a new profile. If its because you can't figure out how to fix problems with your old one then you need to be more selective in what data you migrate or you will probably have the same problems again. As a minimum you would normally copy the prefs.js file (has your settings), your calendar (if you have one), your address books (abook.sqlite, history.sqlite etc.) and any downloaded mail. If you understand the profile layout you can just copy the Mail subdirectory to migrate any downloaded mail. Otherwise you would want to use the ImportExportTools NG add-on to import it.

2. Yes, it effects your message archives if they're stored locally. If you use just IMAP accounts all you need to do is make certain your new profile has the same accounts. If they're stored locally (POP accounts and/or in the "Local Folders" account) you need to either copy the contents of the accounts "local directory" (where it stores its files) or use the ImportExportTools Ng add-on to import the mbox files.
Kent Slimm

Post by Kent Slimm »

lenny2 -

I did what you suggested and moved the new policies.json file into the same Programs folder that contains Thunderbird. Then I tried moving it to the Thunderbird folder (so it would be on the same level as the .exe file). Each time I closed out of and reopened TB. But both times it shows that I'm still on the release channel.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

That file doesn't change what channel (release, beta, or daily) you are on. Its just supposed to stop any attempt to check for updates. What channel you are on is determined by channel-prefs.js

/* This Source Code Form is subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public
* License, v. 2.0. If a copy of the MPL was not distributed with this
* file, You can obtain one at http://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/. */

pref("app.update.channel", "release");
Kent Slimm

Post by Kent Slimm »

Well, I'm afraid this, too, failed to work. Still getting that error message after creating the policies.json file.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I tried creating a distribution subdirectory in the installation directory for version 102, copying a policies.json file there, unchecking "use a background service to install updates" and selecting "check for updates but let me choose whether to install them." No effect on the contents of the About popup.

I then did the same for 91.11.0. No effect on the contents of the About popup. I then deleted updater.exe, updater.ini, update-settings.ini and restarted. Still no luck.

I looked at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/649 ... uto-update (very long but very good writeup) which also documents how to disable updates via change some settings using the config editor. Searching for app.update.enabled I found a modified setting called app.update.auto.migrated set true. I toggled app.update.enabled to false. I set app.update.silent to true and app.update.doorhanger to false. Still no luck

I noticed a app.update.log setting set to false. I toggled it to true. Based on https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1526475 it looks like it creates a update_messages.log file in the profile. I suggest you do the same and see if you find that log file. I don't have one , probably because there is no update available yet for what I'm running.
Kent Slimm

Post by Kent Slimm »

I really appreciate your putting all this time into troubleshooting with me. Once I finally figured out where those settings were located, I changed app.update.log from false to true. Didn't help, unfortunately.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I updated to 102.0.1 on the evening of the sixth and app.update.log was still true, but there was no update_messages.log file in the profile. I also checked the installation directory, in case the location changed.

Looking in https://searchfox.org/mozilla-esr102/so ... ervice.jsm it looks like it uses app.update.log to manage whether it write that information to the error console and app.update.log.file to control whether it writes it to the file. I toggled the latter and looked in the log tab of the error console (tools -> developer tools ->error console). It has lots of information about the 102.01 update. Don't get confused by the "Thunderbird BETA" directory, I had installed 102.0 over the 102 beta.

1657341102487 addons.xpi WARN Checking C:\Program Files\Thunderbird BETA\distribution\extensions for addons
UTM:SVC TimerManager:registerTimer - timerID: xpi-signature-verification interval: 86400 skipFirst: false
AUS:SVC UpdateManager:_loadXMLFileIntoArray - XML file does not exist. path: C:\ProgramData\Mozilla-1de4eec8-1241-4177-a864-e594e8d1fb38\updates\75C51F26560D0CE7\active-update.xml
UTM:SVC TimerManager:registerTimer - timerID: region-update-timer interval: 604800 skipFirst: false
AUS:SVC Creating UpdateService
AUS:SVC Logging current UpdateService status:
AUS:SVC UpdateService.canUsuallyCheckForUpdates - able to check for updates
AUS:SVC UpdateService.canCheckForUpdates - able to check for updates
AUS:SVC getCanApplyUpdates - testing write access C:\ProgramData\Mozilla-1de4eec8-1241-4177-a864-e594e8d1fb38\updates\75C51F26560D0CE7\update.test
AUS:SVC isServiceInstalled - returning true
AUS:SVC shouldUseService - returning false
AUS:SVC getCanApplyUpdates - able to apply updates
AUS:SVC gCanStageUpdatesSession - testing write access C:\Program Files\Thunderbird BETA\update.test
AUS:SVC gCanStageUpdatesSession - unable to stage updates. Exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED) [nsIFile.create]" nsresult: "0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED)" location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/UpdateService.jsm :: testWriteAccess :: line 519" data: no]
AUS:SVC Elevation required: false
AUS:SVC Other instance of the application currently running: false
AUS:SVC Downloading: false
AUS:SVC End of UpdateService status
AUS:SVC Checker: checkForUpdates, force: true
AUS:SVC Creating UpdateService
AUS:SVC getCanApplyUpdates - testing write access C:\ProgramData\Mozilla-1de4eec8-1241-4177-a864-e594e8d1fb38\updates\75C51F26560D0CE7\update.test
AUS:SVC waitForOtherInstances - beginning polling
AUS:SVC waitForOtherInstances - no other instances found, exiting
AUS:SVC Checker:getUpdateURL - update URL: https://aus.thunderbird.net/update/6/Th ... ml?force=1
AUS:SVC Checker:checkForUpdates - sending request to: https://aus.thunderbird.net/update/6/Th ... ml?force=1
AUS:SVC Checker:onLoad - request completed downloading document
AUS:SVC Checker:onLoad - Getting sslStatus failed.
AUS:SVC Checker:onLoad - number of updates available: 0

Based on getCanApplyUpdates - testing write access C:\ProgramData\Mozilla-1de4eec8-1241-4177-a864-e594e8d1fb38\updates\75C51F26560D0CE7\update.test I wonder if the update would have silently failed if I had changed the security privileges to prevent write access to the updates directory.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The Thunderbird community manager in http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3097413 stated that the messages about needing to update to 102 despite already running it are a known bug that should be fixed a couple of weeks. It might also apply to your situation (91.*)
Kent Slimm

Post by Kent Slimm »

OK, thanks. Sure hope that does it.
Kent Slimm

Post by Kent Slimm »

Checking in again about the same issue. A few weeks ago, my desktop's copy of TB finally announced the availability of v. 102, which I installed successfully. But my laptop - where I had, and still have, the annoying daily problem I originally posted about - is still telling me I'm up to date with v. 91.10. In other words, even though it says I'm on the "release channel," it's not making 102 available. Is it still being rolled out or should I have gotten it by now? I don't know whether the delay is related to the original issue. Or whether, if I were able to get 102, it would solve that issue. Thoughts?