"TB can't update to the latest version..."

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Re: "TB can't update to the latest version..."

Post by tanstaafl »

The latest version is 102.2.2. It was initially released Sept 7.

Did you create a policies.json file that was recognized by Thunderbird? i.e. it says enterprise policies are active.
Kent Slimm

Post by Kent Slimm »

When I check on updates, it tells me that I'm up-to-date with 102.2.1. My guess is that (a) forcing an update to .2 won't solve my problem, but (b) the fact that it's not updating automatically is another symptom of my problem.

TB says enterprise policies are INactive. I thought that, earlier in this thread, you advised me that I wanted it to say that because that meant it wasn't blocking updates. If I misunderstood and I need to do something different with a policies.json file, I'd be grateful if you'd tell me exactly how I should do that.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you want Thunderbird to update then you don't want a policy.json file. I was asking if you had one only because I'd expected you to have updated to 102.2.2 by now, and I thought things might have gotten confusing.
Kent Slimm

Post by Kent Slimm »

Yes, I got rid of that file earlier. So ... any other suggestions?
Last edited by Kent Slimm on September 15th, 2022, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Try getting rid of the entire update folder listed in help -> more troubleshooting information -> update folder again.

Verify that the update folder shown by pressing the update folder button is totally empty afterwards and that pressing the show update history button says "No updates installed yet.".
Kent Slimm

Post by Kent Slimm »

OK, I did what you suggested and Update History does indeed say "no updates installed yet."
But it still didn't prompt me to update to v....2. And I'm still getting the same damn error message once a day.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Its normal to have some errors in the error tab at tools -> developer tools -> error console. See if any of them seem relevant. It might be easiest to clear them using the trash can icon and see what new ones you get the next time you run Thunderbird.