Have to keep signing in to Google Account

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
InVietDung

Have to keep signing in to Google Account

Post by InVietDung »

hi there

Just updated TB to 91.8.0 and running win 10pro

I keep getting a pop up window asking me to log into google account, and then if I want TB to use the google account to receive emails from google email account, and then to delete them from the gmail account.

I do want TB to get my emails from my gmail account, BUT I do not want them deleted from the gmail account.

I can't access TB emails at present.

kindest thanks for help
cheers
peter
tanstaafl

Re: Have to keep signing in to Google Account

Post by tanstaafl »

I assume you are switching from using "normal password" to OAuth2 based authentication for Gmail accounts. You need to enable cookies (it wants to create a accounts.google.com cookie) in Thunderbird's tools -> settings if its not already enabled in the privacy & security settings. Its a good idea to delete any saved passwords for Gmail and restart beforehand, in some cases the passwords are not benignly ignored. Running other software such as a local web server or XMPP that uses local host can cause problems.

I don't understand your concern about deleting messages. More details would help.

If you use POP check "leave messages on server" and don't check "until I delete them" or "for at most X days" in the accounts server settings.

A IMAP account doesn't delete the messages in the remote folders. However, if you don't disable the offline folder support when it synchs the local and remote folders it will delete any messages in the local mbox file if they don't exist on the server. So you need to be careful if you're reusing a local directory from a POP account with a IMAP account. I'd suggest moving the messages/folders to the 'Local Folders" account beforehand.

Its recommended that you don't convert a POP account to a IMAP account. Add the IMAP account and then move any messages you want from the POP account to the IMAP account (or Local Folders). A POP and IMAP account for the same email address can co-exist at the same time.