Helper Application problem

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
JBusch808

Helper Application problem

Post by JBusch808 »

Hello Thunderbird experts -

I recently updated to 91.9.1 and, at the same time, installed the latest version of Acrobat, which uninstalls Adobe Reader. I was using Reader for my helper application to open PDFs, and it worked fine. Now, when I receive an email with a PDF attachment, I was able to specify Acrobat as my helper application and it seems to work fine. But when I compose an email and specify a PDF attachment, I sometimes want to review it before I send. When I try to open it by right-clicking, I get a message that says the specified helper application does not exist. I have no opportunity to choose one, and I'm stuck. Has anyone seen this behavior? A suggestion for a fix or workaround would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance -
JBusch808
tanstaafl

Re: Helper Application problem

Post by tanstaafl »

Check that acrobat reader is the system default helper for *.pdf files by double clicking on a .pdf file in windows explorer.

Does the screen that says the specified helper application does not exist have a option for you to browse to a helper application? Usually you can browse to an alternative and then check the checkbox to tell it to always use that application from then on (forget the exact wording).

Look in the files & attachments section of tools -> settings. Is there any entry for PDF files? Normally it doesn't have any if it defaults to what systems default helper for that file type. But if there is any entry than you can change it to use acrobat reader instead. One workaround might be to install Foxit PDF reader, let it set itself as the default PDF helper for your system, and then go into settings to change it from Foxit to Acrobat,
JBusch808

Re: Helper Application problem

Post by JBusch808 »

Thanks tanstaafl for your advice. Because the new version of Acrobat force-replaces Reader, I no longer have Reader and Acrobat is the Windows default for PDFs. You're right that there is usually an option to browse for a new helper application in TBird when one is not found, but not this time. I can send a screenshot if you want to see it. In tools/settings, I have Acrobat locked in as the default for PDFs. And it works fine if I RECEIVE an attachment, but not if I'm SENDING an attachment. Any other ideas much appreciated, and thanks again.