something broke when I upgraded to v78 (Linux)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ginahoy

something broke when I upgraded to v78 (Linux)

Post by ginahoy »

I recently upgraded from v68.10 to v78.14 and noticed Thunderbird no longer checks my mail servers at startup, even though I have that option checked in the account settings. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

A different question: I'm running Linux Mint and I use the Mozilla Team PPA to manage Thunderbird updates. I noticed the PPA's website has v91, but for reasons unknown, Update Manager hasn't picked up this release. I thought I'd check here before posting this question in the Mint forum. I prefer to let the PPA handle T'bird updates so I don't need to keep track of the new releases.
Last edited by DanRaisch on June 29th, 2022, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Linux) added to subject line.
tanstaafl

Re: something broke when I upgraded to v78 (Linux)

Post by tanstaafl »

POP or IMAP accounts?

What happens if you explicitly press the get messages button?

Are you using a proxy of any type to connect to the Internet?

I normally use Windows 11Pro but am also running Thunderbird 91.9.1 under Ubuntu in a WSL2 virtual machine. Works fine. I haven't tried any packages from ppa:mozillateam/thunderbird-stable

eric@DESKTOP-K8K60RO:~$ apt show packages thunderbird
Package: thunderbird
Version: 1:91.9.1+build1-0ubuntu0.20.04.1
Priority: optional
Section: mail
Origin: Ubuntu
Maintainer: Ubuntu Mozilla Team <ubuntu-mozillateam@lists.ubuntu.com>
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Installed-Size: 232 MB
Provides: mail-reader
Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.12.4), libc6 (>= 2.30), libcairo-gobject2 (>= 1.10.0), libcairo2 (>= 1.10.0), libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.9.14), libdbus-glib-1-2 (>= 0.78), libfontconfig1 (>= 2.12.6), libfreetype6 (>= 2.10.1), libgcc-s1 (>= 3.3), libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.37.3), libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.9.14), libharfbuzz0b (>= 0.6.0), libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), libpangocairo-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), libpangoft2-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), libstdc++6 (>= 9), libx11-6, libx11-xcb1 (>= 2:1.6.9), libxcb-shm0, libxcb1, libxcomposite1 (>= 1:0.4.5), libxcursor1 (>> 1.1.2), libxdamage1 (>= 1:1.1), libxext6, libxfixes3, libxi6, libxrender1, libxt6
ginahoy

Post by ginahoy »

Thanks for your reply. My email accounts are all POP. Yes, the "Get Messages" button works. If I do nothing, TB will reliably download messages at the selected interval on the server settings tab.

TB stopped checking messages at startup when I upgraded to v78. I don't use any type of proxy and haven't installed any software since upgrading. I toggled the "check messages at startup" option (restarting TB in between) but it didn't fix the problem.

When I run "apt show packages thunderbird", I get the same response as you except for the version (mine shows v78). I'm guessing that's because my machine doesn't satisfy the v91 dependencies. Checking the dependencies as shown in your reply, I see several packages that are newer than what's installed on my machine. That's because I'm running an older version of Mint. I've been putting off upgrading because I would have to reinstall all of the software. Ugh. Still, my machine meets all v78 dependencies, so I don't think that's causing this error.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See if https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=364679 helps. It talks about using the backup tool (not Timeshift) before running the update manager to upgrade to Linux Mint 20.3.
ginahoy

Post by ginahoy »

Thanks for that link. I plan to ask for help in the Mint forum before attempting the upgrade, but I have way too much on my plate right now to even think about that. I'll save the link.
ginahoy

Post by ginahoy »

v102.4 recently showed up in my Linux Mint distro so I was finally able to upgrade from v78. Unfortunately, that didn't resolve the issue with Thunderbird not checking mail servers at startup. I've gotten used to doing it manually. Sigh.

BTW, I still haven't upgraded my OS (Linux Mint 18.2) so I was surprised that it met T'bird v102 dependencies since it failed for v91. I just checked the v102 dependencies (using apt show packages command you suggested)... As it turns out, all the dependencies that failed for v91 (there were 6) were either eliminated for v102, or show older versions than what's installed on my machine. I'm guessing there must be others still running Mint 18 that did some work on that.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm now running Thunderbird 102.2.2 under Ubuntu via WSL2. It checks for new mail normally.

I realize you want to stick with POP accounts but you might try adding a IMAP account for one of your existing email addresses. The POP and IMAP accounts can co-exist at the same time. See if the IMAP account has the same problem, and if it discovering new mail leaks over to the POP account. I'm not suggesting you stick with that, just play with it for a short while to see if you might gain any insight as to whats causing your problem.
ginahoy

Post by ginahoy »

Wow, that worked! And when I deleted the IMAP account, Thunderbird now checks all my POP accounts at startup. I'm befuddled as to why that fixed the problem, but there it is. Thanks!