[Resolved!] Junk folder accidentally moved to Trash folder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Ngamer01

[Resolved!] Junk folder accidentally moved to Trash folder

Post by Ngamer01 »

So I have a weird problem that started with Thunderbird 91 and now has persisted with the next Thunderbird major release, 102. I'm a Yahoo! Mail user that fetches mail from Yahoo! Mail's iMap to view emails in Thunderbird.

I somehow managed to delete my Spam folder which normally shouldn't be possible (TB should give you a error: mailbox is reserved message normally). I cannot seem to reverse getting the Spam folder out of the Trash folder. Worse yet Yahoo! Mail requires a premium account to get them to do anything. When searching I managed to find this Mozilla Support thread, but that was for Pop emails only (I can only use iMap). I tried to use that solution there anyways, but it's no go for me. Thunderbird keeps bringing the Spam folder back into the Trash folder since my Yahoo! Mail now reflects the state of my Thunderbird folder tree.

I'd appreciate any ideas to resolve this and whether if the Thunderbird devs might need this bug logged so they might have a chance to get somebody from Yahoo! Mail to prevent accidental deletion of reserved mailboxes when one uses Thunderbird to check Yahoo! Mail.
Last edited by Ngamer01 on April 30th, 2023, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: Junk folder accidentally moved to Trash folder

Post by DanRaisch »

Can't you just log onto the Yahoo web mail page and move the folder from the Trash folder there?
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

DanRaisch wrote:Can't you just log onto the Yahoo web mail page and move the folder from the Trash folder there?
Sadly I can't. The only option I have is to "Empty Trash" which is dimmed out on Yahoo! Mail's new version since I don't have any deleted emails in the Trash. I tried to use their classic view version, but there's no option to move the Spam folder in that version either.
lem3

Post by lem3 »

Probably the same problem I'm having, see
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3095965

There's a thread of complaints on the ATT community forum as well. Someone at Yahoo messed up and changed the server-client directory names and associations and there doesn't appear to be anything users can do about it because the directories involved are protected.
I THINK if you delete the account in TB, create a new one and let Yahoo download their new directory structure things would be ok but then you'd be up the creek if they suddenly decide to fix the problem.
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

I know this is nearing a year old, but I finally stumbled upon a solution from this Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Thunderbird/co ... ahoo_mail/

Somebody developed a Thunderbird extension called FolderFlags which after installation lets you alter the flags of your folders. I used the extension to disable the Junk folder's flag to turn the folder into a normal folder and then I quickly moved the folder out of the Trash folder which has solved my problem. The Junk folder is back in its original location and has stayed put since (the extension will return a folder's original flag after disabling it and moving the folder).

I've only bumped this thread so that if any other Yahoo! users who use Thunderbird accidentally somehow Trash'd their Junk folder were needing help, FolderFlags can help get their Junk folder out of the Trash. I understand if this thread needs locking as resolved now.
DanRaisch

Re: [Resolved!] Junk folder accidentally moved to Trash fold

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks for posting your solution,which may be helpful to others.