TB 102 messed up Primary Password(now multiple prompts)(Mac)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
hbadorties

TB 102 messed up Primary Password(now multiple prompts)(Mac)

Post by hbadorties »

Hello experts,

I have upgraded to TB 102.0 on MacOS 11.6.7. I think this was a mistake because the Primary Password is now messed up and prompts multiple times (3 to be exact).

PRIOR to v102.0 everything worked as expected:
- start TB
- up pops the Primary Password prompt
- enter Primary Password, click "Sign in"
- prompt disappears
- TB has access to my IMAP accounts and all is well

AFTER UPGRADING to v102.0, the Primary Password prompt behaves oddly and something is broken:
Here's a short video of the problematic behaviour detailed below.
- start TB
- up pops the Primary Password prompt, then it bounces up and down twice (i.e. it is presented three times)
- enter the Primary Password and click "Sign in"
- prompt moves up and down, password is cleared, prompt returns asking a second time for the Primary Password
- enter the Primary Password for the second time and again click "Sign in"
- prompt moves up and down, password is cleared, prompt returns asking a third time for the Primary Password
- enter the Primary Password for the third time and again click "Sign in"
- now TB appears to function (I say "appears" because I've not yet worked with TB 102 much...)

How can I stop this annoying repetition of the Primary Password prompt?

Is this a bug I have tripped over?

Any assistance would be appreciated
Last edited by DanRaisch on June 30th, 2022, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Mac) added to Subject line.
hbadorties

Re: TB 102 messed up Primary Password(now multiple prompts)(

Post by hbadorties »

UPDATE:

In the description posted above please note that I had two (2) IMAP accounts configured and was using a Primary Password.
Since the posting I removed one IMAP account, leaving me with just one (1) single IMAP account.

The Primary Password prompt now appears two (2) times, rather than three (3) times.

After a number of experiments, clearing saved passwords, re-authenticating to google g-suite services (not the free gmail service), configuring TB NOT to use a Primary Password, and then re-configuring TO AGAIN use a Primary Password, I have concluded the problem definitely lies with the use of the Primary Password in TB 102.0 and is related to the number of accounts. The Primary Password prompt will repeat (as previously illustrated) by the number of configured email accounts PLUS one. If you have 3 email accounts you'll get prompted 4 times, if you have 1 configured email account you'll get prompted 2 times, etc.

I believe this is a bug in 102.0 because the Primary Password worked perfectly, prompting only ONCE without any regard to the number of configured accounts, in all versions up to 91.11.0 (the last version I had installed before 102.0) .

It would be nice to return to being prompted only once for the Primary Password.

Still, all tips, tricks and pointers are welcome...
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Do you have calendars or chat account?
hbadorties

Post by hbadorties »

Thanks for the reply.
wsmwk wrote:Do you have calendars or chat account?
No, I do not have calendars of chat accounts - I only use mail.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Does it work correctly in safe mode (help -> troubleshoot mode)? I'm wondering if one of your add-ons is the culprit.

Its possible the problem is in one of the related files such as key4.db, logins.json and cert9.db . Rather than deleting them I suggest you consider resetting the primary password (which deletes your saved passwords as a side effect) by going to Tools -> Developer Tools -> Error Console , entering openDialog("chrome://pippki/content/resetpassword.xhtml") and then pressing the return/enter key.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... y-password
hbadorties

Post by hbadorties »

UPDATED RESPONSE
Thanks for the reply...
tanstaafl wrote:Does it work correctly in safe mode (help -> troubleshoot mode)? I'm wondering if one of your add-ons is the culprit.

Its possible the problem is in one of the related files such as key4.db, logins.json and cert9.db . Rather than deleting them I suggest you consider resetting the primary password (which deletes your saved passwords as a side effect) by going to Tools -> Developer Tools -> Error Console , entering openDialog("chrome://pippki/content/resetpassword.xhtml") and then pressing the return/enter key.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... y-password
I have just 2 Extensions - "Phoenity Buttons" and "Signature Switch".

Here's the UPDATE:

I have reset the primary password as per your suggestion and the referenced KB article - unfortunately this did not resolve the issue.

Details:
- On first reboot after resetting the primary password I was, of course, prompted to authenticate.
- After authenticating I quit TB, on restart I was logged into the IMAP account
- Then I set "Use a Primary Password" and quit TB
- On restart the same multiple prompt for Primary Password returned

I wonder if I can simply revert to TB version 91.11.0 ?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I also looked on SUMO (the official support forum) and didn't spot anybody with a similar problem. 102 is too new, and its not available as a automated upgrade.

1. You could install 91.11.0 in the same installation directory and add a --allow-downgrade command line argument to whatever shortcut you use to launch Thunderbird. The latter is needed in order to continue to use the same profile. You want to install in the same installation directory to avoid the hassles due to "dedicated profile per installation" which would complain your profile doesn't support 91.11.0 .

I use Windows 11Pro and have 91.11.0 and 102 sharing a profile. The only problem I've noticed is that phone numbers in the address book aren't visible under 91.11.0 due to different schema for the address book. You could export your address books as .csv or .ldif files while running 102 and then import them in 91.11.0 to workaround that.

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" --allow-downgrade

If you're running into a bug in 102 (rather than just some sort of unfortunate configuration error/corrupted files) I'd assume that in a couple of weeks they'd release a minor update to 102 that fixes it. It just needs to happen to enough people that it gets recognized as a bug rather than a support issue.

2. Another solution would be to stop using a primary password and move your profile to a password protected encrypted partition/container (a container is a file that acts like its a partition). i.e. encrypt all of your profile rather than relying upon Thunderbird to protect your stored passwords.

Veracrypt would be a good way to do that. You'd have to provide the password whenever you wanted to mount the partition/container. That would be a poor solution if you're worried about somebody using Thunderbird when you walk away from your Mac, but is a useful way to protect all of your data (not just your passwords) if you're going to be away for a good while, at the end of the day, or if you need to take the Mac to be repaired etc..

I use Veracypt to protect my financial documents and have used it to protect my profile in the past. Its the successor to TrueCrypt, and has had a security audit. I have Windows 11Pro so I could use Bitlocker instead but I prefer Veracrypt since it supports Windows, Linux and OSX and it lets me use a container rather than a partition.

I don't know much about FileVault 2 (Apples equivalent of BitLocker in OSX). Supposedly the user’s login password is used as the encryption key and there is no option to use a container (need to use a partition instead). But perhaps that has changed.

I am leery of encrypting a boot disk because if I can't boot for some reason its a lot tougher to fix. That is why I prefer to use a container.

3. You could stop using a primary password and use a different password wizard (which has its equivalent of a primary password). I used KeePass 2 for a while. Worked well, the problem is that Thunderbird doesn't provide any account specific information in the popup. You needed to install an add-on to add the server name to the popup so that KeePass 2 could tell which password to enter. Unfortunately those add-ons are legacy add-ons that don't work with version 78 or later. MacPass is the unofficial port of Keepass 2 to OSX.

A big problem with password managers is nowadays they're focused on browsers, and frequently don't support applications. I don't think this approach is viable for Thunderbird but perhaps some OSX specific password managers have the necessary functionality.

4. You could try creating a new profile. It won't have any cruft leftover from prior versions, which sometimes causes problems. You are using IMAP accounts which means you don't have to worry about migrating your mail. You could use the tools -> import feature in 102 to import your old address books "as is".

If you create a new profile you will have to add the accounts again, customize everything again, re-install your add-ons etc.

If you go to help -> more troubleshooting information and click on about:profiles it takes you to a built-in profile manager that you can use to create or delete profiles, set the default profile or switch between profiles.
hbadorties

Post by hbadorties »

Thank you for the detailed reply.

I should mention I started TB in safe-mode but that did not change the behaviour of multiple prompts for the Primary Password.
tanstaafl wrote:I also looked on SUMO (the official support forum) and didn't spot anybody with a similar problem. 102 is too new, and its not available as a automated upgrade.
I do updates manually, not automatically. I have trusted TB updates in past and so far I have only got behind the 8-ball a few times, this being one of those times. I will be a bit more cautions regarding 10X.X updates now.

Typically, before I do an upgrade, I compress the entire TB folder (~/Library/Thunderbird), name it by date & TB version just in case. Did I do that this time? Er, no.
I keep my archive of saved mail locally in named folders and rely upon IMAP for incoming and storage of anything I may need access to when not at my main computer. I have regular backups of my system, so not having explicitly compressed the whole thing prior to this upgrade hasn't left me tearing my hair out.
tanstaafl wrote:1. You could install 91.11.0 in the same installation directory and add a --allow-downgrade command line argument to whatever shortcut you use to launch Thunderbird. The latter is needed in order to continue to use the same profile. You want to install in the same installation directory to avoid the hassles due to "dedicated profile per installation" which would complain your profile doesn't support 91.11.0 .
This was very helpful and saved me a number of steps. I found this article instructive in figuring out how to execute an application with added command line arguments on OSX which might also help other Mac users (scroll down to the Mac section in the article). Here are the commands:

Code: Select all

/Applications/Thunderbird.app/Contents/MacOS/thunderbird-bin -safe-mode
/Applications/Thunderbird.app/Contents/MacOS/thunderbird-bin -allow-downgrade
I downgraded to 91.10.0 by first installing TB 91.10.0 in the normal Mac application installation manner (allowing it to replace the newer version when prompted) but the first time starting the downgraded TB 91.10.0 I did at the command line with the "-allow-downgrade" command line argument. All went well and I was back to a single "Primary Password" prompt. I then upgraded to 91.11.0 in the regular manner, and all remained well.
tanstaafl wrote:If you're running into a bug in 102 (rather than just some sort of unfortunate configuration error/corrupted files) I'd assume that in a couple of weeks they'd release a minor update to 102 that fixes it. It just needs to happen to enough people that it gets recognized as a bug rather than a support issue.
I think I've stumbled upon a bug in TB 102.0 - and I can replicate it. Hopefully the experts will resolve this. In the meanwhile I will stick with 91.11.0
tanstaafl wrote:2. Another solution would be to stop using a primary password and move your profile to a password protected encrypted partition/container (a container is a file that acts like its a partition). i.e. encrypt all of your profile rather than relying upon Thunderbird to protect your stored passwords.
Having a username/password to log on to the Mac and using TB Primary Password is sufficient security for me - offering a deterrence against easy access anyway. As for encryption options, I'm not ready to embrace that. Besides, you only have to paranoid when people are after you. :D I'm trying to simplify my digital life, so I don't want to use multiple TB profiles

I do thank you for taking the time to reply, and providing your insights and suggestions. I'm off to the races once again.
hbadorties

Post by hbadorties »

Hello,

I am reporting that I have installed a first-ever copy of TB on a Mac Mini running MacOS 10.15.7. Never before having TB on this system I installed the current version 102.0.2 (i.e. NOT an upgrade or refreshed installation).

I set this up to access my email hosted by Google and all is well.

HOWEVER, when I elect to use TB's "Primary Password" I find the same problem persists - that is being asked for the Primary Password multiple times. In this case I have only a single IMAP account, so I am prompted twice. This is consistent with the previously noted odd behaviour when electing to use a Primary Password. This behaviour can be consistently replicated. Clearly the behaviour is not related to installing an upgrade of TB on top of an existing earlier version.

This is most disappointing because it defeats the entire purpose of the Primary Password - which is to be prompted only ONCE, regardless of the number of email accounts configured.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1772571
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1346268

Is mail.password_protect_local_cache set to true? If so set it to false.
hbadorties

Post by hbadorties »

tanstaafl wrote:https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1772571
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1346268

Is mail.password_protect_local_cache set to true? If so set it to false.
Excuse my delayed response... that value WAS already set to false.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

So 91.11.0 works fine but using 102.0.2 resurrects the problem (using the same profile)?

I'm running out of ideas other than see what happens with 102.1.1 or a beta since you seem to be running into a configuration specific bug.

There is a button to download beta builds near the bottom of https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/get-involved/
hbadorties

Post by hbadorties »

Hello experts,

I am reporting that the issue appears to be resolved, for reasons I cannot identify.

I will add that I did these things, thinking maybe it will be of use to someone:

- I had downgraded to upgraded to TB 91.10.0 then immediately updated to 91.11.0 (noted in my July 1, 2022 post above) on all 3 MacOS systems and then was only prompted once for the Primary Password (as should be the case).
- On all 3 MacOS systems I periodically updated TB 91.x until 91.13.1, and all remained "normal"
- In the last week I upgraded one system (MacOS 10.15.7) from TB 91.13.1 to TB 102.3.2 and VOILA! all remained "normal" and I was prompted for the Primary Password only once.
- I then upgraded that system to TB 102.3.3 and all remained right and proper.
- I upgraded TB on my other systems (MacOS 11.7 and MacOS 12.6) in the same manner to get to TB 102.3.3 and all remains right and proper - meaning I am prompted for the Primary Password only once.

Thanks to those who offered comments and tips.