ROLL OUT OF NEW T-BIRD 102

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
sjw54

ROLL OUT OF NEW T-BIRD 102

Post by sjw54 »

I have a few questions. I assume the new version is not optional, but will need to be installed. What happens to my current site with Four separate email addresses, each with multiple subfolders under. If we download the new one, will we lose everything in the old one? I am concerned because I have so much in all my folders now. And what about our address book? Will all our current info get automatically transferred to the new TBird? Will I turn on my computer some morning and be unable to use Tbird? Thank you so much.
lenny2

Re: ROLL OUT OF NEW T-BIRD 102

Post by lenny2 »

First, create a backup of your profile, for example, archive the profile folder in 7-Zip. It is in the profile that your emails, folders, address books, settings are stored.
Separately, you can save the address books to the file Address Book>Tools>Export for subsequent recovery Address Book>Tools>Import.
When you upgrade your TB version, your existing profile with emails, address books, folders and settings will be picked up, you won't lose anything.
Some add-ons that are incompatible with the new version of TB will stop working, they will need to be updated later.

An update is optional, there are many complaints about v102.0.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

As long as it is optional, that means I can leave it alone and it will still be supported? That would be a blessing, for sure.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

It will probably be at least a week until 102 is also available as a automated update. The project does this deliberately to provide unofficial additional testing beyond the beta tests. It also doesn't initially roll out the automated update world wide, it initially does a limited rollout and if it sees no major problems than makes it more widely available. This is a very pragmatic way to reduce the risks when releasing a major new version when you have limited resources to test it. The problem is that many users have the wrong expectations when a new major release is first available on thunderbird.net.

102 seems much better than the last couple of years major new versions. However, unless you're comfortable being an early adopter its better to wait for one or two minor updates to be released before updating. There are always problems. Let somebody else be the guinea pig. The extra time also increases the chances that your favorite add-on will be updated to work with 102.

The party line is that you should always use the latest version to get all of the security fixes. But the security fixes are usually for bugs that required javascript to be enabled. Its disabled in email accounts. This means those Thunderbird security fixes are actually mis-labeled Firefox security fixes. Even the security advisories state: "In general, these flaws cannot be exploited through email in the Thunderbird product because scripting is disabled when reading mail, but are potentially risks in browser or browser-like contexts." Your biggest risk is not using a older version, its using poor judgement in choosing what attachments to open and what links to click on, and enabling view -> display attachments inline.

So while its a good idea to keep up to date you shouldn't feel you need to rush to do so.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Wow....that was very informative. I am not a fan of change, and I assume the automatic updates that have been taking place keep us pretty safe. I am not a fan of change, being that I am not good with computers at all, and always rely on someone to come help me....I am relieved. Perhaps some day when the updates settle down and other people are the guinea pigs, I may venture into the new update.......

There is a somewhat new tab in the email screen "Encrypt" and I have no clue what that is. I will share your reply with the person that helps me out. Over the years since I first got T-Bird, 20 years ago, I have had so many people who have been there for me locally, to do backups and deal with problematic issues, I am so thankful for them. And those of you who are committed to this forum are invaluable. Thank you so much. You are a blessing, each of you, and there are just a handful who really know Tbird very well. Have a great holiday weekend......Happy 4th
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

How do I know what version I have now? I can't remember where I find that info. Thank you
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The safest way to check the version is to use help -> more troubleshooting information. If you use help -> about Thunderbird that can trigger a check for an update.

If you don't have help -> more troubleshooting information you are several generations behind. Use help -> troubleshooting information instead in that case. If you have help -> Restart Thunderbird in safe mode that's another clue you're several generations behind.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

It sounds like at some point over the next week or so I will get the new version when I turn on T-bird some morning? I put my laptop to sleep each night and power off once a week. But I do get updates quite often that run before Tbird screen opens.

Will the new version just appear some morning? I dread that....I am not good with change......from the replies above, I will not have a choice within the next couple of weeks and I will have the new version, want it or not.

I just checked and I have 103.0b2 How come the new version roll out version is 102. Don't the numbers usually go up/forward?

Thank you again, I so appreciate your help. I have held on to Tbird for so long because it is so much more user friendly than any other options.
My friend came over today and did not know how to backup Tbird. He is researching it. Previous friends have backed up for me. both Tbird and chrome. Sigh.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I think you installed a beta build (meant for testing or early adopters). Its available at the bottom of https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/get-involved/ . The current beta is 103.0b2

If you delete the contents of the Thunderbird installation directory (NOT the profile) and install the released version in the same location it will switch from the beta channel to the release channel and let you reuse your existing profile. If it complains that Thunderbird doesn't support that profile (due to some changes made by the beta) add a --allow-downgrade command line argument to your shortcut.

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" --allow-downgrade

You can disable automatic updating in tools -> settings -> updates, though it will still check for new versions (and ask if you want to install it).

The simplest way to backup Thunderbird is to go to help -> more troubleshooting information , click on the Open Folder button next to a "Profile folder" string and let it open windows explorer at the profile. Then copy and paste the profile directory to somewhere safe. Version 102 has a tools -> export that can export the entire profile as a .zip file, and tools -> import can import it. The ImportExportTools add-on has support for scheduled backups.

I use IMAP accounts, which store the mail on the mail server. So as an additional precaution I've emailed myself a message with a prefs.js file attachment (my settings) and *.csv files created by exporting my address books. As long as I know my passwords I can always recreate my old profile.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

sjw54 wrote: I just checked and I have 103.0b2 How come the new version roll out version is 102. Don't the numbers usually go up/forward?
Further to @tanstaafl, that means you have already gone through any pain barrier in regard to the changes for v102. If you are happy with how your TB is working then just chill and put your spectrum fears about change on the back burner.
Last edited by Gone Postal on July 5th, 2022, 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

I am wondering if the version it appears I have is not correct. There used to be a much simpler way to determine what version I am using now....and I seriously doubt it is the new one......I always have dozens of problems with changes....Is there another way to determine which version I am running now? I would be blown away if the worst has already happened.....and I survived...but it makes so sense that the newer version is a lower number than the roll out....sorry to doubt....just confused....
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

sjw54:

Help -> about Thunderbird is the simplest way to check what version you are running.

A third way to check what version you are using is to look at extensions.lastAppVersion in the config editor. There is a button to run it at the bottom of tools -> settings -> general. If you're running the release build its 102.0. When I look in a daily build its 104.0a1. So I suspect you'd see 103.0b2 , meaning it a beta build.

A beta build is a version later than the last release version (currently 102) that's suitable for testing and early adopters. If you're using a early beta build it will have more bugs than 102 (which has its own share of bugs).
morat

Post by morat »

sjw54 wrote:How do I know what version I have now?
You can check the milestone value in the platform.ini file in the install directory.

Code: Select all

cd /d C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird
findstr.exe "Milestone" platform.ini
Milestone=102.0
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

sjw54 wrote:I am wondering if the version it appears I have is not correct. There used to be a much simpler way to determine what version I am using now....and I seriously doubt it is the new one......I always have dozens of problems with changes....Is there another way to determine which version I am running now? I would be blown away if the worst has already happened.....and I survived...but it makes so sense that the newer version is a lower number than the roll out....sorry to doubt....just confused....
If you checked Help > More Troubleshooting Information, and it indicates you are using a 103 beta, then check the Update Channel.

Name Thunderbird
Version 103.0b2
Build ID 20220701150839
Update History
Update Channel beta
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Wow...it says 103.0b2 was successfully on July 2. I guess that means all my worries were for nothing because I am not having any issues yet. Thank you so much, Walt. What would we do without you T-bird geniuses. Hope you had a great holiday weekend.....Susan