Some questions about new Address Book in v102

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
thoste

Some questions about new Address Book in v102

Post by thoste »

1.) After opening new Address Book Tab I entered a name in the search field and got the corresponding entry.

BUT: How do I know in which of my 15 address books this entry is stored?

2.) I want to export one or all of my Address Books into a local folder.
I miss (beside Import) an analog "Export" menu. Where is it?

3.) I tried "Upload Addressbooks" menu. Should that work with a local folder or only with remote servers?

If i click on it I got lots of error popups like

"...Start upload (local)
- Personal Address Book.. (lastMod=before appstart file=1.Jan 1970, 01:00:00 copy failed"

What does that mean?
tanstaafl

Re: Some questions about new Address Book in v102

Post by tanstaafl »

1. The search field explicitly states what address book its searching before you enter the text (its the currently selected one). So its mainly an issue if you search "all address books". There is a column widget to the right that lets you add a "address book" column.

2. Right click on the address book name and select export from the context menu. That supports .csv files etc. They should have made it available from tools -> export .

3. I can't find a "upload address books" menu. Where is it? I'm wondering if that is due to an add-on.
thoste

Post by thoste »

@tanstaafl:

ad1.) Yes, its an issue for "All Address Books" - the standard search.

You mentioned "a column widget to the right which lets you add a "address book" column": Where exactly do I find this column widget?
Do I have to activate it? How?

The Address book looks currently like in this screenshot:

https://snipboard.io/EpCigL.jpg

ad2) Yes there is an "Export" context menu but only for each Address Book.
Is there really no global "Export" for all contacts in all Address Books at once?

After all these years and the comprehensive re-design and revamp of Address Book part still no global Export?

ad3) Yes, you were right. "Upload Address book" was a feature of an AddOn
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

1. In the address book find the edit field used to search address books. To the right is a grey rectangular button with three dashed lines. If you hover the mouse over it the tooltip says "List display options". Press it.

2. Nope. No global export.
thoste

Post by thoste »

Ok, I found it.
I wonder why this information is NOT shown in vertical layout but only in horizontal layout

Similarly users can only drag & drop a contact to another address book in vertical layout but NOT in horizontal layout
Am I right?

I think the previous Address Book re-design improvement is a deterioration
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm using the horizontal layout. It doesn't appear to support dragging and dropping a contact to another address book. It takes some hunting to figure out where to change between horizontal and vertical layout because you don't expect it in a columns widget. I prefer the old address book design.