Copying Folders from one system to another

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
honest_abe

Copying Folders from one system to another

Post by honest_abe »

I have Thunderbird 91.11.0 on a Debian and Ubuntu system. I copied a Mail folder from Ubuntu to Debian in the default .thunderbird/[xxx].default/Mail/Local Folders directory named [yyy] and [yyy].msf.

All the preferences and the account settings appear to be identical

Now the mail in that [yyy] folder can be seen in the message list EXCEPT

Messages with attachments are not shown
In the Correspondents column, no messages show the > sign
Some messages are missing. Others are there that do not exist in the same folder on the source Ubuntu machine

What am I doing wrong?

I only want the messages in that folder to be on both machines. I don't want to just copy the whole .thunderbird directory as the Debian system is my laptop so it needs to have only certain messages.
DanRaisch

Re: Copying Folders from one system to another

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP? In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
honest_abe2

Post by honest_abe2 »

All my connections use POP. I have been using Thunderbird for close to 20 years.

Note, I am the author of this topic. For some reason, although I could logon to and create the thread, I never got a notice of your reply. When I tried to logon today, Firefox again put in my password but it was no good. When I tried to use "Forgot password", it asked for my email. Since my account was established in 2005, I apparently never updated that info so I created this new account. There seems to be no link to contact administrators and my new account is too new to PM.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Click on the User Control Panel link in the right hand column of this topic and then click on the "Board Preferences" tab, then on "Edit posting defaults", and finally select the option "Notify me upon replies by default:"

How did you copy the mail folder? Did you copy the message files themselves using a file manager utility or the entire folder containing those files?
honest_abe2

Post by honest_abe2 »

I copied the two files using the system file manager to a shared directory on the two Linux systems then on the target system, copied them to the appropriate Local Folders directory. Both machines did NOT have Thunderbird active at the time.