TB 91.12.0 WON'T INSERT OR ATTACH IMAGES

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
cayuga

TB 91.12.0 WON'T INSERT OR ATTACH IMAGES

Post by cayuga »

Hi, :)

TB 91.12.0 WON'T INSERT OR ATTACH IMAGES, TB then crashes, regular non image email works OK.
How do get TB 91.12.0 to send images?

Regards,
cayuga.
Last edited by LIMPET235 on July 31st, 2022, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed useless/un-necessary link.
tanstaafl

Re: TB 91.12.0 WON'T INSERT OR ATTACH IMAGES

Post by tanstaafl »

Works for me with TB 91.12.0 (64 bit) under Windows 11 Pro.

How far do you get in inserting a image from a file using insert -> image before it crashes?

Did you submit a crash report? They pay attention to them if there is any sort of pattern.
cayuga

Post by cayuga »

tanstaafl,

Very near the beginning:

I select insert, then go to image location popup, once I start going to the place where image is stored, it crashes & I file a report, get no answer. Now I don't file report as I'm busy taking care of my health, I'm 82 live alone & a wheelchair is my only home. Similar event happens when I attach image, I go & attach image & TB crashes.

Because of my poor heath, email is the only way I pass critical images with notes to my Docs. I'll be OK as I'm 82 & waiting for my birth certificate to expire. I'd attach an image of my expired birth certificate but this forum doesn't allow that.

Regards,
cayuga
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

So it crashes when you try to select a file either to embed it or to attach it.

I found https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1250792 where the same problem occurred due to a interoperability problem with ESET security software. I also found https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1229006 where the culprit was Trend Micro antivirus software.

What anti-virus scanner do you use? Do you use any security software?

I don't believe in installing Avast, Norton, AVG etc. as they have trouble keeping up with the rapid release schedule of Thunderbird, and most email providers use enterprise class software (much better than anything you might buy) to scan your email. Windows Defender has gotten pretty good, though its not always as good as the alternatives. However, it usually doesn't cause any interoperability problems.

Personally I used to get by using just Windows Defender and the free version of Malwarebytes (to detect/recover from malware). Later on I bought a subscription to the commercial version of Malwarebytes because I did online banking etc. See https://www.malwarebytes.com/solutions/free-antivirus if you want to try the free version of Malwarebytes

1. Try running Thunderbird in safe mode by holding down the shift key when clicking on the shortcut, or using help -> troubleshoot mode. That does more than just disable the add-ons. See if that works around the problem.

2. If that doesn't help do you remember the last version where you didn't have this problem? See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird if you want to download a setup program for a older version of Thunderbird. Parts of the KB article are out of date but the links to where you can get the setup programs and the explanation of the directory layout are still valid. You could install the new version over the existing installation.

Try not to use a older version than necessary. Otherwise you might run into database schema changes or different files used to store information. If you add a --allow-downgrade command line argument to the shortcuts properties Thunderbird will attempt to ignore changes that aren't supported. Example:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" --allow-downgrade

You can add the command line argument by right clicking on the Thunderbird shortcut in the task bar, right click on Thunderbird in the context menu, select properties, select shortcut tab, select the Target edit field and then add the command line argument. Don't forget to add a space.
cayuga

Post by cayuga »

tanstaafl,

Thanks you very much, It will take me a few days to trouble shoot.

Im also having trouble getting/staying in this forum. I'll get back to you on that problem.

How do I post images to this forum?

Regards,

cayuga
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
To post images here, see the following...
This is only one site that caters for such actions/requirements.

> http://postimages.org/

eg;...Using "postimages.org",
0/. Upload your image.
1/. Select > from the "Do not resize" drop down, 640 x 480.
2/. No expiration. (Leave as default or as you require.
3/. Choose > Images to upload.
3a/. After the image/s have been uploaded.
4/. Select > Hot Link for Forum.
5/. Paste that link in your forum thread.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)