Address book

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
grzz76

Address book

Post by grzz76 »

It looks like Thunderbird has changed its Address book format.

In the past, I could move/copy an individual contact from one Address Book to another (drag and drop). The new version doesn't seem to allow that. Or is there a way to do that?

Thanks.
tanstaafl

Re: Address book

Post by tanstaafl »

What they seem to expect you to do in 102 is to export the address book as a .csv file, edit it using a text editor to remove whatever you don't want to move, and then use tools -> import to import the address book. They now let you import the file into an existing address book, which merges the contents.

The wording is poor as it doesn't make it clear that its a merge, the first time I tried it I was worried it would replace the existing contents. So you can still move contacts, its just much harder. I have no idea why they dropped drag and drop support.
morat

Post by morat »

tanstaafl wrote:I have no idea why they dropped drag and drop support.
Drag and drop of contacts to a mailing list in another address book no longer works
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1782397

For reading only as Bugzilla is not a forum.
TheCoalCracker

Post by TheCoalCracker »

Might I suggest installing Cardbook ver 82 for TB 102. It can be found in "View other versions".
Drag and drop works fine there. And it does other nice things, such as adding anniversaries to the calendar.
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

Drag and drop still works, but you have to first highlight (select) the contacts in the middle pane of Address Book, then drag and drop (press Ctrl to copy instead of move).

Edit: Address Book must be in vertical layout.
Last edited by sfhowes on August 2nd, 2022, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

sfhowes wrote:Drag and drop still works, but you have to first highlight (select) the contacts in the middle pane of Address Book, then drag and drop (press Ctrl to copy instead of move).
Thanks for the tip. That's a great help.
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

sfhowes wrote:Drag and drop still works, but you have to first highlight (select) the contacts in the middle pane of Address Book, then drag and drop (press Ctrl to copy instead of move).
It takes a moment to realize you are trying to hold onto the address(es) to move it...just a little delay.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.