"Show remote content" missing

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
pjaj

"Show remote content" missing

Post by pjaj »

Sometime in the last few hours TB has updated itself to V 102.1.0 and the dropdown menu "show remote content" with various options has disappeared.
I can no longer see embedded imaged in emails.
Any ides how to reinstate it?
All the add-ins I used to have have also been deleted, but that doesn't matter so much, I can replace them if I still need them.
tanstaafl

Re: "Show remote content" missing

Post by tanstaafl »

The Options list box is gone in the yellow banner, or just the "show remote content in this message" at the top of the list box?

See if the problem occurs in safe mode (help -> troubleshoot mode). If it doesn't then one of your add-ons is probably the culprit.

You could try deleting some of the files mentioned in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolbar_or_wi ... ot_working such as xulstore.json , session.json and mailviews.dat. If you do that I'd appreciate it if you did it one by one and let me know which one was the culprit.

You could try adding an exception for the senders email address in tools -> settings -> privacy & security -> mail content -> exceptions . That should work, but is annoying as its more work.

Embedded images are different from remote images. Embedded images are physically stored in the message (usually as base64 encoded data) and you don't need to enable show remote content to see them. Usually the only issue with a embedded image is whether it has a Content-Type: header set to something like Content-Type: image/jpeg; (saying its a JPEG file) or it defaults to something like Content-Type: application/octet-stream (meaning all we know is that it is 8 bit data so Thunderbird has no idea what to do with it).

Remote images have a HTML img src command that specifies the remote location of the image.
pjaj

Post by pjaj »

It's the dropdown menu that has a number of options depending on how many sources of images it thinks there are in the email. The top item was "Show remote content", then a list of sources and options and finally "allow remote content from this sender". Currently emails contain grey text areas with things like "Screenshot of Our Stuff" but no apparent way of actually showing the image.
I don't have a "yellow" banner. There is a Mail toolbar, a Menu bar and a Folder pane toolbar. Enabling / disabling any of these makes no difference.
When TB updated itself it removed all my add-ons and still didn't show images. I've only reinstalled one of them, "Quick Filters" since.

Well that's weird. I restarted in Troubleshoot Mode and agreed to "disable all add-ins". The yellow bar is back together with the missing "options" drop down.
Still there after I reinstall Quick Filters.
In troubleshoot mode I also cleared the cache.
It seems to be working OK in normal mode. I assume it re-enters this after close and restart.

I obviously can't go back and check, but I couldn't see any of the previously installed add-ins just after the update and in any case I think there was only one other, Quick Tabs. Hence my belief that TB had disabled / removed all of them.

So it looks like problem solved, but quite why and how I'm not sure.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Glad its solved but I'm wondering if you have another potential problem.

Normally a upgrade doesn't remove add-ons, it just disables incompatible ones. They should still be listed in tools -> add-ons and themes. I suggest you use help -> more troubleshooting information and look at its list of add-ons to verify the previously installed ones are really gone.
pjaj

Post by pjaj »

Yes, I did glance at that report yesterday and looking at it again now I see that it says about half the add-ins I had installed over the years are supposedly enabled. But they don't show up on any tool bar or anywhere else I would expect them to have an effect.
I've just had another look at "Add-ons Manager > Extensions and it now shows many of the extensions in the report, all disabled (other than the 2 I reinstalled) even those that are compatible with 102.1.0.

Clicking on Tools > Developer Tools > debug add-ins only shows 3 extensions Quick Filters and Remove Duplicate Message, extensions I've reinstalled, plus another one marked "System theme - auto"
Under add-ons manager > extensions I clicked on the gear symbol and made sure that all extensions were set to automatically update and there were no updates available. Which is strange, because clicking on "More Information" for some of the disabled extensions says that they ARE compatible with 102 and the reasons given for not enabling them should have been fixed by the update check.

British English Dictionary (Marco Pinto) was in the debug report's list of disabled add-ins and didn't show up in the add-ins manager It has just installed without problem and the manager says it is compatible, EXCEPT it's shown as disabled even after closing and restarting TB and I can't enable it.

Summary
My observations above are minor annoyances, not show stoppers.
The most important of my original problems were fixed by starting in Troubleshoot mode, but why that fixed them is not clear.
Various aspects of controlling add-ins have reappeared at different stages of my investigations.
This does not take into account any mistakes or errors on my part :shock: :D

BTW at the bottom of the debug report I notice "Modified print settings" which contains details of a number of printers no longer in existence.
pjaj

Post by pjaj »

New strange behaviour.
The bar between the list of emails and the individual email display which contains things like the header info and the reply, Forward, etc buttons has disappeared!
Restart TB and it comes back for one folder. Switch folders and it disappears. Switch back and it's gone.
I'm using a display that has a list of accounts and folders in the LH column and the rest of the screen is split into email list (top) and email display (bottom) :?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"BTW at the bottom of the debug report I notice "Modified print settings" which contains details of a number of printers no longer in existence."

It doesn't automatically remove settings for printers that don't exist. I'm glad as I think that would be very error prone. You can reset those settings in the config editor to remove them.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

pjaj wrote:New strange behaviour.
The bar between the list of emails and the individual email display which contains things like the header info and the reply, Forward, etc buttons has disappeared!
Restart TB and it comes back for one folder. Switch folders and it disappears. Switch back and it's gone.
I'm using a display that has a list of accounts and folders in the LH column and the rest of the screen is split into email list (top) and email display (bottom) :?
That sounds like you enabled the message pane to read messages. I use that configuration too. Did you install the Compact Headers add-on to let you reduce the number of header lines shown?

I've noticed that add-on has problems with 91.* and 102.* randomly deciding its not compatible and disabling it. When that occurs I uninstall it, reinstall it and its fine for a while. Then the cycle repeats. I sent email to the add-on author about that and he thinks its something he can't control (faulty behavior in Thunderbird).

Perhaps in your case that add-on is failing in different ways.
pjaj

Post by pjaj »

tanstaafl wrote:That sounds like you enabled the message pane to read messages. I use that configuration too. Did you install the Compact Headers add-on to let you reduce the number of header lines shown?
Yes, that's the setup I use. View > Layout > Classic with Folder pane, Folder pane columns and Message pane all enabled.
No I have never installed compact headers.
tanstaafl wrote:I've noticed that add-on has problems with 91.* and 102.* randomly deciding its not compatible and disabling it. When that occurs I uninstall it, reinstall it and its fine for a while. Then the cycle repeats. I sent email to the add-on author about that and he thinks its something he can't control (faulty behaviour in Thunderbird).

Perhaps in your case that add-on is failing in different ways.
Sorry it isn't that in my case,

This is driving me nuts!! :crazyeyes: I only had 3 add-ons enabled the two I've already mentioned, Quick Filters and Remove Duplicate Messages plus a security one - DKIM Verifier which I had used previously in 91 with no problems. So just out of curiosity I disabled DKIM and the header panel in the message pane problem goes away. I can see the headers and controls all the time.

BTW, I mentioned dictionaries in a previous message, British English Dictionary (Marco Pinto) wouldn't enable so I tried "Grammar and Spell Checker — LanguageTool" but this doesn't seem to work with 102, it highlights misspelled words, but offers no corrections when you right click. It also highlights (in a slightly different way) random correct words and again offers no action. It claims to know 25 different languages. So another one removed again.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I installed DKIM verifier with 102.1.0 under Windows 11 Pro and restarted. I expanded the headers in the message pane so that I can see them. I can see the yellow banner with the Options button to manage remote imaging along with "DKIM Valid (signed by motley.fool.com)". I also see a DKIM button in the panes toolbar (just to the left of "More").

So I suspect the problem is more complex. I have Compact headers, DKIM Verifier and BrowseInTab add-ons installed. No extra dictionaries.

I noticed the following issue on the DKIM Verifier support web site - https://github.com/lieser/dkim_verifier/issues/311 (TB 102: tooltip for From header does not work) which implies that the add-on probably works for many users of TB 102. https://github.com/lieser/dkim_verifier/wiki lists a support email address. I suggest you send them a message that includes detailed information about your configuration.
pjaj

Post by pjaj »

tanstaafl wrote:I installed DKIM verifier with 102.1.0 under Windows 11 Pro and restarted. I expanded the headers in the message pane so that I can see them. I can see the yellow banner with the Options button to manage remote imaging along with "DKIM Valid (signed by motley.fool.com)". I also see a DKIM button in the panes toolbar (just to the left of "More").

So I suspect the problem is more complex. I have Compact headers, DKIM Verifier and BrowseInTab add-ons installed. No extra dictionaries.
Only major differences are I'm using Windows 10 Home and don't have compact headers.
I've now got a definitive, minimal test case for my particular setup.

Disable DKIM verifier - Header panel visible on all emails in any folder and also yellow bar if images are present, but sender is not "trusted" ie "Allow remote content from abc@xxx.com" not selected from dropdown.
Enable DKIM Verifier - Everything as above until you change folder then headers panel and yellow bar disappear even if you switch back to original folder.
Disable DKIM Verifier - Back to normal immediately, you do not have to select another email or folder.

No need to reboot TB in between tests.

Just installed Compact Headers, makes no difference to the test results.