Another folder compact issue.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
TheCoalCracker

Another folder compact issue.

Post by TheCoalCracker »

Most compaction issues were resolved in a recent update to TB 102 (currently on ver 102.1.0, 64 bit). However, I've found that emails that are filtered to another folder from inbox causes the inbox to not compact.
I must repair the inbox folder, which then shows the original "filtered" message. Now I "simply" delete that message and compact then works.

Another way to resolve (assuming email no longer needed):
Move the email back into inbox, delete it, compact.
Last edited by TheCoalCracker on September 4th, 2022, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Re: Another folder compact issue.

Post by tanstaafl »

I can't reproduce the problem using 102.1.0 64-bit using IMAP accounts, under Windows 11 Pro. I'm using server side filters to automatically filter messages to two child directories and also have a saved search folder. I have "when I delete a message" set to "just mark it as deleted" and checked "Clean up (expunge) inbox on exit".

More details please such as what type of account you are using and does this problem go away if you use safe mode (help -> troubleshoot mode)
TheCoalCracker

Post by TheCoalCracker »

I'm using POP. Problem remains using safe mode, won't compact.
This issue just now occurred. After repair, original email reappears in inbox.
Manually ran the filter. Email successfully moved to appropriate folder.
Compaction then worked on inbox, without doing repair.
I suspect one of the latest updates regressed to the original problem.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I was able to duplicate the problem by manually running a filter to copy messages from a IMAP account to the inbox in "Local Folders", deleting some messages in the inbox in Local Folders and then trying to compact that folder.

If I exit , restart Thunderbird and compact the folder it compacts it. I tried using repair folder in the folders properties instead, it had no effect. I couldn't try to duplicate this problem using a POP account since my only one uses maildir.

I submitted a bug report about what I could duplicate. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1783547 (for reading only)
TheCoalCracker

Post by TheCoalCracker »

Thanks...
BTW, for me, restarting doesn't help with compacting.
I currently have 24KB "stuck" in my inbox, and it's sure to grow.
I'm going to leave it as is for now, just in case it may help the investigation in the future.
TheCoalCracker

Post by TheCoalCracker »

Found a pattern to this problem:
1. An email arrives and is placed in the inbox of a given email account (I have several).
2. Filters are executed and any affected emails are routed to their appropriate folder.
3. Now the problem exists:
1. Relocated email can be read, deleted and compaction will work in that folder.
2. Original inbox will show size but will not compact.
3. Repair inbox. Those filtered emails will now appear.
4. Delete them and compaction works.