TB 102.1.1 Not always downloading emails from Gmail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
richchad

TB 102.1.1 Not always downloading emails from Gmail

Post by richchad »

I updated TB to 101.1.1 a few days ago and now find that it doesn't always download emails from my several gmail accounts.
I have my main gmail account to check for emails every 2 minutes and to automatically download messages.
But quite often I find I have messages sitting in gmail that haven't been downloaded for hours sometimes.
This has only happened since the change to TB 102.1.1
DanRaisch

Re: TB 102.1.1 Not always downloading emails from Gmail

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP? In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
richchad

Post by richchad »

DanRaisch wrote:How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP? In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
Hi Dan, thanks for your reply, it is set up as POP as it always has been, I did also look at the gmail settings and it shows POP is enabled and it also shows IMAP is enabled, I did try disabling IMAP in case it made a difference but it didn't.

The settings are as they were for last 91.9.1 update in May 2022.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

There is a undocumented hourly/daily bandwidth limit for Gmail but you're unlikely to run into it when checking for new mail unless you have large attachments. However, I suspect it lumps the bandwidth used by the accounts so that the limit is based on what is used by your tcp-ip address.
richchad

Post by richchad »

tanstaafl wrote:There is a undocumented hourly/daily bandwidth limit for Gmail but you're unlikely to run into it when checking for new mail unless you have large attachments. However, I suspect it lumps the bandwidth used by the accounts so that the limit is based on what is used by your tcp-ip address.
I don't think there is any danger of running into bandwidth limits as most of my emails are without attachments and just personal use.

I am sure this is a bug with the update, either it needs another update or something I can do to work around the problem.
At the moment I am having to keep an eye on my gmail accounts to see if any emails are just sitting there and not being downloaded.

Very tempted to roll back to 91 but unsure of the complications in doing that as 101 wasn't just an update but a new release.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

They just fixed a bug in the "fetch headers only" support for POP accounts in 102.1.2. I wouldn't be surprised if there are still some more regression bugs in the POP account support.