Office 365 Issues

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tpaulr

Office 365 Issues

Post by tpaulr »

Morning...

I run my corporate email parallel In both Outlook and Thunderbird and never had an issues until this morning...I do not use a current version of Thunderbird, BTW.

I do because it's easier to organize and use local folders in Thunderbird to archive email. I also have a personal Gmail account in Thunderbird, as well.

1. I keep getting the login failure pop-up this morning for my corporate account, "Login to server outlook.office365.com with username XXX failed" then "retry, change password or cancel"...My credentials are correct, I tried adding them again, nothing works.

Server settings haven't changed, I use the Office 365 smtp server as the default for both my corporate account and that personal gmail account I also have in Thunderbird.

2. I also get an odd pop-up that tells me the "gmail smtp server disconnected, the server may have gone down or there might be network problems" right after I get the login failed pop-up.

Why would I get a Gmail error message about an Office 365 account? My Gmail account works just fine this morning.

3. I can send email from my corporate account, although it won't add the sent email to the sent folder this morning in Thunderbird, it does in Outlook.

I can't receive any email, that is the major issue.

Outlook works fine, no issues sending or receiving.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Office is not down today, although there have been recent issues, Gmail is not down today, so I'm at a loss. ](*,)
tpaulr

Re: Office 365 Issues

Post by tpaulr »

Oops, thanks in advance... :D
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Please copy & paste JUST the mail & news accounts section from help -> more troubleshooting information so that we have an idea of how your accounts are configured. As long as you don't check the " Include account names (possibly identifying information)" checkbox near the top of that screen it won't include anything sensitive such as a email address.

You can get help here for any version of Thunderbird, but it helps if you tell us exactly what version you are using.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Mail and News Accounts...
ID Incoming server Outgoing servers
Name Connection security Authentication method Name Connection security Authentication method Default?
account5 (imap) imap.gmail.com:993 SSL/TLS OAuth2 smtp.gmail.com:587 STARTTLS OAuth2 true
account10 (imap) outlook.office365.com:993 SSL/TLS Normal password smtp.office365.com:587 STARTTLS Normal password true
account12 (none) Local Folders None Normal password
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

That seems fine. I use smtp.gmail.com:465 with SSL/TLS and OAuth2 (I don't like to trust that if StartTLS fails to convert a normal connection to a secure connection that it will fail) but your setting should work too.

Check if your copy of the message you sent using the Office365 account is in the Gmail sent mail folder. It should be using the smtp.office365.com server but your symptoms sound like it might actually be using the gmail smtp server.

What version of Thunderbird are you using?

Are you making a connection to the server through a local proxy provided by a anti-virus scanner?
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Thank you...

Using Version 60.9.1. It's checked as "No Proxy".

The test emails I sent yesterday were in a new Local folder that was created called "Sent-XXX" (name of my company), which I didn't see until this morning. I sent out 4 test emails and this new folder was created - did Gmail create this folder?

I have to get this sorted, it's too important. If I didn't have so many Local folders set up, it would be a different story - I only have about 35 emails that I keep in my Office inbox, that's not a big deal. It's all the archived emails.

I suppose I could move my Local Folders to Outlook, but I'm not sure how to do that.

I played around with the settings to use OAuth2, but then Gmail pops up asking me for a password...About 5 years ago, we were using the Google business suite (I think that's what it was called), then switched to Office. If I try OAuth2, the pop-up uses my old company address and asks for my password.

I run Thunderbird Portable for a couple other personal Gmail accounts, I just added that other personal Gmail account that I run along with my company account to Portable, that took 1 minute to set up, so I'm off to the races.

The only account left in TBird 60.9 is my company account and it still won't connect to Office - I keep getting Gmail prompts and error messages - just told me it disconnected from Gmail servers again.

Why is trying to do everything through Google all of a sudden?

Where do I go from here? I just checked the MS settings and as you said, they are what the Office IMAP setting are supposed to be.

As always, thank you for your assistance.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

There are two ways a proxy could be used. One is by explicitly configuring a proxy in tools -> settings -> connection. However, most AV scanners have you configure the proxy by just setting the port number and mail server to a local proxy (uses 127.0.0.1 or localhost as the mail server) in the account settings. But I'll assume you've ruled that out too.

The Gmail smtp server puts messages in the sent mail folder for the gmail account. Thats why you normally disable Thunderbird saving a copy of sent messages in the copies & folders settings to avoid duplicates. If you have a Sent-XXX folder I'd assume it was created by Thunderbird (not the smtp server).

I don't know why the outlook account is trying to use the gmail servers despite being configured correctly. I suppose there could be a problem with your DNS server but that seems unlikely. Since you're using a IMAP account (doesn't permanently store your email on the hard disk) I suggest you delete the account and add it again.

You could use "netstat -f" (netstat is bundled with windows) in a console window to see the ip addresses used by the mail servers. That might give you a clue as to why the wrong server was used. However if your modem / router includes NAT support it will actually list local ip addresses, not internet addresses.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

T.,

I think I am going to delete the account and start over...My Local Folders will be fine, as I recall.

I ran an experiment - I have Em Client that I never installed, cranked it up just to add my corporate account and it configured everything automatically (and correctly).

I will delete the account and add again, see what happens.

Will report here later - got too many things to get done this afternoon...

Thank you.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

T.,

It doesn't work. Whoever owns this server - I have to assume it's now MS - doesn't recognize my password, although maybe it's still Google.

I have checked my credentials a million times.

User name and password are the same, nothing has changed.

I can log in to my desktop and on-line versions of Office with absolutely no problems.

I hate to give up on Thunderbird, but I just may have to.

ARGHH!! ](*,)

Any suggestions? Thank you...
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Corporate Office365 accounts might require that a email client use a application specific password (not the same password as you use in your browser) for added security. It all depends upon your admin.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/acc ... 07799387e9
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Thanks...

I did reach out to my support team, let's see what they have to allow.