Thunderbird filtering - complex scenario need help

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ep2012
Location: If you aren't fighting in this war, YOU are part of the problem!

Thunderbird filtering - complex scenario need help

Post by ep2012 »

Hi all,

Ok, so I use some aliases instead of paying for each email addy & when I add them to TB, we need to filter out the duplicates that go to the other 3 email addys.

So we were using the To/cc: doesn't contain as a filter.

But now when I get an email from this one company, I get both emails in both accounts b/c the email is sent to one account & cced to another.

We were going to create 2 separate filters, but TB doesn't give us the option of "OR", it just says "ANY" or "ALL."

Any suggestions on how we can do it?

Thanks
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
Gone Postal

Re: Thunderbird filtering - complex scenario need help

Post by Gone Postal »

ep2012 wrote:Hi all,

Ok, so I use some aliases instead of paying for each email addy & when I add them to TB, we need to filter out the duplicates that go to the other 3 email addys.

But now when I get an email from this one company, I get both emails in both accounts b/c the email is sent to one account & cced to another.

We were going to create 2 separate filters, but TB doesn't give us the option of "OR", it just says "ANY" or "ALL."

Thanks
Apart from the To/cc: setting TB also allows for a filter only on To and another filter only on cc: Can you use that to create a suite of filters to do what you need?
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

Gone Postal wrote:
ep2012 wrote:Hi all,

Thanks
Apart from the To/cc: setting TB also allows for a filter only on To and another filter only on cc: Can you use that to create a suite of filters to do what you need?
But the To/cc already does that.

We need to not include ccs if the email has a cc in it.

We thought of that, but we were having issues figuring out the logic of it all.

Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

ep2012 wrote:But the To/cc already does that.

So can you set up a filter on cc: where cc: contains text and the action is "stop filter execution"?
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

Gone Postal wrote:

So can you set up a filter on cc: where cc: contains text and the action is "stop filter execution"?
Sorry for the delay, I had to get with my website coder to see what he says.

Here's his comments/questions:

1. What would that accomplish? He can't wrap his head around the logic.
2. Where would that go? Would that be the only filter or after or before another filter b/c we still need the first filter in place. What order does it need to go in?

Thanks
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

ep2012 wrote:
Gone Postal wrote:

Sorry for the delay, I had to get with my website coder to see what he says.

Here's his comments/questions:

1. What would that accomplish? He can't wrap his head around the logic.
2. Where would that go? Would that be the only filter or after or before another filter b/c we still need the first filter in place. What order does it need to go in?

Thanks
I've had a re-think. I think this will probably do what you need. For each of the incoming accounts, create a filter with the "Filters for" box at the top of the filters pop-up set to that incoming account. The filter will have the one rule that if cc: contains that address the action is delete message. Then you can add additional filters to carry out whatever actions you require for the directly addressed messages. As long as the cc: filters are the top of the list for each account that will delete the cc:s and leave the To:s. So you'll need 4 separate filters to get rid of the cc:s rather than one cover-all.

I have POP and IMAP accounts on my machine and setting up like that seems to get rid of the cc:s while leaving the original message intact.

Hope that solves your problem (or at least gives you a start towards solving it).