TB has started mis-sorting newsgroup followup messages

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
mjackson

TB has started mis-sorting newsgroup followup messages

Post by mjackson »

I sort my newsgroup folders by subject. Beginning some time in August TB stopped sorting followups (Re: ThisTopic) with the initial posting (ThisTopic) and began sorting them with the other Rs. I don't know if this happened when I got a new version of TB (I stay current) or if there was some subtle change at my new provider (individual.net). Anyone else having this problem?

TB 102.2.1 (64-bit) on Windows 10 Home
An ideology has axioms and algorithms; a view of life has approaches and approximations. - Adam Gopnik
tanstaafl

Re: TB has started mis-sorting newsgroup followup messages

Post by tanstaafl »

Check if "view -> sort by" is using threaded rather than unthreaded for that folder. They changed the default sort settings for folders to threaded in 102.

See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3100356 for how to change it.
mjackson

Post by mjackson »

Newsgroup "folder" settings are Subject Ascending Unthreaded. Those same settings for any mail folder (or inbox) yield an alpha sort which ignores leading "Re: " as desired (and as previously obtained for newsgroups as well), but for newsgroups all the followups are sorted with the Rs.
An ideology has axioms and algorithms; a view of life has approaches and approximations. - Adam Gopnik
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

mjackson

Post by mjackson »

The three settings pertaining to threading are all at the defaults set back at version 3.0. mailnews.localizedRe is blank - but as the newsgroup and mail folder sorting behavior is different (despite the fact that in both "Re: " and "RE: " appear but are only handled properly in mail folders) I don't know what I'd put there that would change anything.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The problem is only with newsgroups?
mjackson

Post by mjackson »

Yes. Inbox and mail folders behave correctly.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The community manager mentions in https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1381861 that "Yes, there are still issues with newsgroups in the new version. Some fixes should happen in the coming weeks."
mjackson

Post by mjackson »

Still not fixed in 102.2.2. I posted a comment about this in the thread; probably not effective. Is there a list of issues I can get to? (I have a Bugzilla account but find the interface opaque - more of an SCCS and CVS guy back in the day.)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

None of the developers read this or the official support forum.

There probably is a list of issues being worked on but all I have access to is Bugzilla and release notes, same as you. Your best bet might be to install a Daily build and use it with another profile. When they implement a fix it will show up in a Daily build first, and then might take several weeks until it shows up in a minor version update.
mjackson

Post by mjackson »

Thanks. I did navigate Bugzilla and, finding no bug reflecting this behavior, filed one. We'll see if that works eventually; I can deal with the problem for now.
mjackson

Post by mjackson »

Bug #1789890 "Sort by Subject (unthreaded) for newsgroup messages ONLY fails to ignore "Re:" for proper sorting" has just been triaged as S3. We'll see.