Transfer TB data folders from PC to Android's Outlook?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Flycaster

Transfer TB data folders from PC to Android's Outlook?

Post by Flycaster »

Latest Windows 11 and Thunderbird updates, using a new Samsung Galaxy A13 5G with Outlook. BTW, can't wait until Thunderbird for Android is available.

Probably should have this question on an Android forum, but I'm comfortable here and I figure that enough Thunderbird folks have done this already and they can help me. I have successfully migrated and sync'd emails, contacts, and calendars between the two devices, however there is a problem when it comes to the folders in the folder pane. No problem with the standard folders (inbox, sent, trash, etc.) as they are there and working. It is the folders that I had added to TB's folder pane. These folders have transferred to Outlook without anything in them??? The folders are there, but nothing is in them???
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
DanRaisch

Re: Transfer TB data folders from PC to Android's Outlook?

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Normally if you can see a IMAP folder either your email client has subscribed to that folder or its configured to always show a folder regardless of whether its subscribed. Perhaps there is a bug in that email client. Try to find a way to explicitly show all folders regardless of whether its subscribed.

I installed K-9 mail (though I prefer FairEmail) a couple of months ago and was able to use it with several IMAP accounts that didn't require OAuth2 support. It didn't have support for subscriptions (always showed every folder) but worked okay with my Outlook account. I was able to read messages in non-standard folders. Why not try it, rather than waiting for a official release?
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

DanRaisch wrote:How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
Sorry, meant to put it in but forgot...IMAP
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

tanstaafl wrote:Normally if you can see a IMAP folder either your email client has subscribed to that folder or its configured to always show a folder regardless of whether its subscribed. Perhaps there is a bug in that email client. Try to find a way to explicitly show all folders regardless of whether its subscribed.

How do I find out if it is subscribed?

I installed K-9 mail (though I prefer FairEmail) a couple of months ago and was able to use it with several IMAP accounts that didn't require OAuth2 support. It didn't have support for subscriptions (always showed every folder) but worked okay with my Outlook account. I was able to read messages in non-standard folders. Why not try it, rather than waiting for a official release?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

As far as I can tell, everything is subscribed to. I have rebooted the android, but yet no files in the said folders? I have also read (https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... er-1263612) that you can copy the files and transfer to another device, but how (if this really applies to my situation)?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The issue is whether its subscribed to on the android smartphone, not the PC. Subscription is basically just a way to reduce visual clutter in that email client, it has no effect on other email clients or webmail.

Any possibility Outlook on your Android smartphone is actually using Exchange ActiveSync rather than IMAP? That depends upon what email provider you are using.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... fe236aee6a describes how to subscribe/unsubscribe IMAP folders in Outlook.
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

I have no idea whether or not the android is using Exchange ActiveSync rather than IMAP. But, I can say that emails and calendar are working between the two devices.As for subscribing, I can't find anything on the android's Outlook that relates to "subscription?" BTW, I have also posted on Android Central's A12 forum and am awaiting a reply.