Using the same profile on Ubuntu & Windows fails since 102

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Eric_the_Bish

Using the same profile on Ubuntu & Windows fails since 102

Post by Eric_the_Bish »

I have a dual boot machine running Ubuntu 22.04.1 and Windows 10 (most recent build). I have arranged for Thnderbird to use the same profile on each OS.

Now, however, Windows Thunderbird has upgraded to 102.2.2 and has "upgraded" my profile. When I try to start Thunderbird on Ubuntu I get the following error message: "A newer version of Thunderbird may have made changes to your profile..." and Thunderbird will not start (unless I set up a new profile).

Any suggestions, please? Perhaps the Ubuntu version will become compatible with the new profile in due course?

Friendly regards to all, and any advice gratefully received.

Regards, Eric_the_Bish.
tanstaafl

Re: Using the same profile on Ubuntu & Windows fails since 1

Post by tanstaafl »

On Ubuntu add a --allow-downgrade command line argument to the command line arguments to tell it to ignore files in the profile that were added by a later version. You might also have to use the about:profiles link in help -> more troubleshooting information to set your profile as the default profile again.

The address book will have different schema. This means you might not see the phone numbers in the contacts under Ubuntu.

In general, if you are going to share a profile between two operating systems you want to use the same version of Thunderbird for both. This didn't matter before version 78 when Thunderbird added support for a dedicated profile per installation. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/de ... stallation

If you're using a Thunderbird package included as part of your Ubuntu distro you might want to think about using Ubuntuzilla to get a package of the Mozilla build (rather than the Ubuntu distro's package). That will help you keep the two installations in synch . The main side effect is that a Mozilla build uses a different directory tree for profiles.ini and where it stores its profiles than a normal Ubuntu package of Thunderbird. You could also use the generic Linux build from thunderbird.net (to make certain you use the same version on both) if you're willing to not use the package manager.
Eric_the_Bish

Re: Using the same profile on Ubuntu & Windows fails since 1

Post by Eric_the_Bish »

tanstaafl wrote:On Ubuntu add a --allow-downgrade command line argument to the command line arguments to tell it to ignore files in the profile that were added by a later version. You might also have to use the about:profiles link in help -> more troubleshooting information to set your profile as the default profile again.

The address book will have different schema. This means you might not see the phone numbers in the contacts under Ubuntu.

In general, if you are going to share a profile between two operating systems you want to use the same version of Thunderbird for both. This didn't matter before version 78 when Thunderbird added support for a dedicated profile per installation. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/de ... stallation

If you're using a Thunderbird package included as part of your Ubuntu distro you might want to think about using Ubuntuzilla to get a package of the Mozilla build (rather than the Ubuntu distro's package). That will help you keep the two installations in synch . The main side effect is that a Mozilla build uses a different directory tree for profiles.ini and where it stores its profiles than a normal Ubuntu package of Thunderbird. You could also use the generic Linux build from thunderbird.net (to make certain you use the same version on both) if you're willing to not use the package manager.
That's very helpful, thank you! Eric.