eMail Send Process Will Not Complete (v 102.2.2)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Montana Bob

eMail Send Process Will Not Complete (v 102.2.2)

Post by Montana Bob »

Since updating to version 102.2 I have experienced problems with TB not completing the process of sending an eMail message.

The latest failure just occurred. I drafted the message which contained a link in the message body. As I always do, I addressed to the desired recipient and BCCed myself, and also, as I always do, under "Options" I selected "Return Receipt" "Delivery Status Notification". I hit send and the progress line appeared and went all the way to 100% . . . and there it remained . . . for several minutes, so I hit "Cancel" and repeated the process several times with the same result. The next step was to send myself a "Test" message. It completed successfully. I went to the "Inbox" to look for my "Test" message and discovered, not only my "Test" message but, all of my previous messages, which were sent successfully! I checked the "Sent" folder and the successfully-sent eMail messages did not appear, which, to me, indicates that the sending process did not complete. "Trash" folder is nearly empty and I run the "Compact Folders" process several times a week, sometimes daily.

EDIT: Just checked my "Inbox" and discovered '''Successful Mail Delivery Reports" for each of my attempts. I telephonically communicated with the recipient and confirmed that all of my attempts were received.

My guess is that there is something going on with v 102 which is causing this issue.

Any ideas, guys?

Thanks!

Montana Bob
tanstaafl

Re: eMail Send Process Will Not Complete (v 102.2.2)

Post by tanstaafl »

Try again in safe mode (now at help -> troubleshoot mode). There might be a side effect due to a incompatible add-on.

If that has no effect see if your problems disappear if you don't select "Return Receipt" and "Delivery Status Notification". If they do disappear then experiment with using just one of them to see if its the combination that is causing the problem.
Montana Bob

Post by Montana Bob »

tanstaafl wrote:Try again in safe mode (now at help -> troubleshoot mode). There might be a side effect due to a incompatible add-on.

If that has no effect see if your problems disappear if you don't select "Return Receipt" and "Delivery Status Notification". If they do disappear then experiment with using just one of them to see if its the combination that is causing the problem.
Tanstaafl,

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Tried the following in "Safe Mode":

#1) Return Receipt OFF
Delivery Status Notification ON
SUCCESSFUL--Send completed successfully (Prog bar moved to 100% and then disappeared, message displayed in "Sent" folder, and "Sent" message arrived in "Inbox")

#2) Return Receipt ON
Delivery Status Notification OFF
FAILED--Send failed to complete (Prog bar stalled at 100%, message did not appear in "Sent" folder, but "Sent" message arrived in "Inbox")

#3) Return Receipt OFF
Delivery Status Notification OFF
FAILED--Send failed to complete (Prog bar stalled at 100%, message did not appear in "Sent" folder, but "Sent" message arrived in "Inbox")

Then I decided to download full (offline-install) version of TB 102.2.2 and install over-the-top (did not uninstall TB).

Following reinstall, rebooted machine ("cold" boot) in "Normal" mode (as opposed "Safe Mode"). Repeated test as follows:

Return Receipt ON
Delivery Status Notification ON

Punt!

Montana Bob
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I have my copy of Thunderbird 102.2.2 configured to ask for permission for return receipts in tools -> settings. When I send a message with DSN and return receipt requested from my Fastmail account to my Gmail account I always quickly send/get the message, but never get asked if I want to send a return receipt, and never get either a DSM or a return receipt. I have both accounts configured to use my global return receipt settings.

I then did the same thing with 106.0a1 (nightly build) except I configured it to always send a return receipt. It acted the same way - no sending problems, but no DSN or receipts.

I looked on the official support forums (SUMO) and all of the return receipt threads seem to be for version 78 or older. I can find over a dozen return receipt bug reports in Bugzilla but none seem to be for version 102 or later.

Give me a couple of days and if I don't find anything useful I'll enable smtp and imap logging , submit a bug report, and post a link to it. I don't want to do that yet since I'd assume that if it was as badly broken as it seems somebody else would have complained.
Montana Bob

Post by Montana Bob »

Wow! I never expected this issue to be this difficult. I just assumed, (and we know what that means!), that it was a garden-variety glitch in a brand new version of TB.

As for your unsuccessful search for a similar problem, I couldn't find anything current either, hence my new post.

I hate to bring this up, but this problem does NOT occur with the sending of every eMail message. However, the problem DOES exhibit itself EVERY time with one specific, business-related, message. (BTW, the problem has occurred on two of my machines a number of times since upgrading to 102.2.2 . The first is a extremely high-end, self-built desktop, built a year ago, and a M$ SurfacePro 7+ purchased a year ago. They are both running Win 10 PRO and are both fully patched.) Said message contains an embedded graphic, so sending it to you using the "Email" or "Private Message" option will undoubtedly strip out the offending cause. If you've got a workaround to permit me to send you the EXACT message replete with embedded graphics and HTML code, fonts and text color, let me know and I will do it. I think that it would help you dramatically in researching the problem.

EDIT: I have used the "Return Receipt" and "Delivery Status Notification" successfully for many years through numerous iterations of TB.

Tanstaffl, my sincere thanks for the yeoman's work on this issue!

Montana Bob/AKA Harvey Hotshoes (a moniker from my days in auto racing!)
Montana Bob

Post by Montana Bob »

tanstaafl wrote:Give me a couple of days and if I don't find anything useful I'll enable smtp and imap logging , submit a bug report, and post a link to it. I don't want to do that yet since I'd assume that if it was as badly broken as it seems somebody else would have complained.
Tanstaafl,

Have you had any luck determining why the eMail message sending process will not complete at times? It is still occurring and it is causing me problems in saving "sent" messages for business-related communications. Sure would like a resolution. As I indicated initially, I never experienced this issue with TB versions prior to 102.x.x .

EDIT: It seems to be occurring more frequently. The sending of the last three last three eMail messages failed to complete yet were delivered successfully. Sumpin' strange goin' on with TB!

Thanks a ton!

Montana Bob