Non-functioning sub-groups in my email

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Mort99

Re: Non-functioning sub-groups in my email

Post by Mort99 »

Mort99 wrote:
Gone Postal wrote:
Mort99 wrote:If I open my account at GMAIL.COM, the following sub-groups appear and all FUNCTION PROPERLY:
Inbox,Starred, Sent, Drafts, All Mail, Trash, ...

Is there a way to "transfer" these functional sub-groups to Thunderbird?
Just a random thought. When you go to Account Settings, then the Server Settings section and click on the Advanced button to bring up the Advanced Account Settings pop-up, is the "Show only subscribed folders" box checked? If so, that would stop any other folders (sub-groups) to which your Thunderbird is not subscribed showing in the Thunderbird folder list.
Thank you for your reply.
The "Show only subscribed folders" was not checked. After I checked the box, no change to my sub-folders occurred.
Also, when I Rt.click the account name, the Context Menu shows ALL FOLDERS are checked, regardless of whether they function properly.
Mort99

Post by Mort99 »

Verifying that we are both on the same page:

With Thunderbird showing onscreen, I opened ACCOUNT SETTINGS

In the left hand column, I selected SERVER SETTINGS listed below my email account.

it lists Server Type as IMAP Mail Server. Server Name appears as: imap.gmail.com. Port: 993 (which is the default).Cnnection Security is: SLS/TLS Authentication Method: OAuth2.

Imap Server Directory: imap.gmail.com. Show Only Subscribed Folders is CHECKED
Mort99

Post by Mort99 »

Hi Tanstaafl,

Is it possible to remove all the sub-groups currently listed under my TB account, and then transfer all those from my GMAIL.COM account back to Thunderbird??
All these sub-groups are listed and function properly in my Gmail.account.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

What do you mean by sub-groups? If you meant folders if you have a Gmail IMAP account you should be able to see every message and folder in Thunderbird that you see in webmail if you disable "show only subscribed folders" using the advanced button in the accounts server settings in Thunderbird.

The folder hierarchy in Thunderbird doesn't necessarily match that used in webmail. That's effected by what you set for the IMAP server directory in the advanced section of the accounts server settings. Don't confuse that with setting what mail server to use.

If you meant mailing lists you can't transfer them from webmail to your IMAP account, you'd have to create them again within Thunderbird using a address book.
Mort99

Post by Mort99 »

Thank you for your patience. I had mentioned earlier that I am an 87 year old non-techie and I am trying to get my TB emails functioning similar to the way they did prior to the major update from v.98.
I truly appreciate your efforts and time spent. Thank you.

What I refer to as sub-groups are the headings which appear in TB under my email account, eg: Inbox, Sent, All Mail, Trash, etc. I think you refer to them as folders.

I apparently have a Gmail IMAP account since that is what appears under the server settings in TB under my account name (toopah99@gmail.com). However, If I disable "Show only subscribed folders", using the advanced button in the accounts server settings, nothing changes. There is no effect!

AS I listed in a previous message, the IMAP Server Directory in the Advanced section of the accounts server is: Server Type: IMAP Mail Server. Server Name: imap.gmail.com. Port: 993 (Default). Connection Security: SSL/TLS. Authentication: OAuth2.

I am not referring to Mailing Lists, merely individual personal mail. HELP!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I suggest you refer to sub-groups as folders as that's the standard terminology.

"However, If I disable "Show only subscribed folders", using the advanced button in the accounts server settings, nothing changes. There is no effect!"

Did you check whether those folders are subscribed? Normally any folders you create are automatically subscribed. The special folders (inbox, drafts etc.) seem to be subscribed by default. i.e. if you want to hide some folders you might need to unsubscribe them.
Mort99

Post by Mort99 »

When I Rt. Click my account name and choose the "Subscribed" button,the ENTIRE list of folders appears. Every one is already checked as Subscribed!

If I uncheck all of them, and click OK, only the INBOX and TRASH folders still remain under my account name. I assume that indicates that these folders are subscribed.
(While the Inbox folder still functions properly, the Trash folder still remains empty when I delete a message ).

I tried to go further: Since the SENT and DRAFTS folders were always functioning properly prior to the above, I went back to the Subscribed window and added a check mark to them. Pressing OK now also added them back to the list of "active" folders under my account.

Now, if I could only get All Mail, Junk and Trash to function, I'd be a happy camper.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

What is wrong with all mail, junk and trash?

Is "when I delete a message" set to move it to trash in the accounts server settings?
Mort99

Post by Mort99 »

In the Accounts, Server Settings, "When I Delete a Message ..." has always been set to Move it to Trash on toopah99@gmail.com.

Apparently some of my folders are synchronized with my Gmail.com account and others with imap???

I can't understand why all of these folders worked seamlessly in TB in v.98. I simply tapped the key to update to the newer version. I would suspect that any subscribed folders would stay subscribed, in the newer version. .... Just my thoughts ...Sorry. I would suspect that if some folders seem to be synched from my Gmail.Com account, eg: Inbox & Sent, then why (how) can I synch the others?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Apparently some of my folders are synchronized with my Gmail.com account and others with imap???"

Imap is what is used to synchronize the remote and local folders.

What is wrong with all mail, junk and trash?
Mort99

Post by Mort99 »

Since my previous post, Junk is working once I mark an item as Junk. I have not yet had the opportunity to notice any learning attempt to recognize an item as Junk.
BTW: I just noticed that other than INBOX and DRAFTS, none of the other folders display the number of items contained in the folder. (Not a big deal at present).

"What is wrong with all mail, and trash?"
I don't know. I assume they are not subscribed even though they are checked as SUBSCRIBED when I rt.click my Account Name and choose Subscribed.
Mort99

Post by Mort99 »

How can I get them to actually be Subscribed so they function properly in Thunderbird?
I'm at my wits end!

BTW: Thank you once again for all the time and effort you have given me. It is sincerely appreciated.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"BTW: I just noticed that other than INBOX and DRAFTS, none of the other folders display the number of items contained in the folder. (Not a big deal at present)."

There is a weird little widget at the end of the columns in the folder pane that if you click on it you can enable other columns such as size, total and unread.

"How can I get them to actually be Subscribed so they function properly in Thunderbird?"

You're saying that when you use the subscribe popup window you can't enable subscriptions for those folders, or that you can but it does no good?
telzey

Post by telzey »

@Mort99, what version of Thunderbird are you using?
Mort99

Post by Mort99 »

Hi Tanstaafl,

"There is a weird little widget at the end of the columns in the folder pane that if you click on it you can enable other columns such as size, total and unread."

Found that little widget at the extreme right of the Folder screen. Clicking it showed several items already checked such as: Thread, Attachments, Read, etc. After checking Size, It still had no effect on my folders.

"You're saying that when you use the subscribe popup window you can't enable subscriptions for those folders, or that you can but it does no good?"
Correct! When I first checked the Subscribe option, the boxes for EVERY folder was checked even though only the ones I mentioned were functioning properly. Clicking REFRESH had no effect.
I had mentioned this previously in my September 30th, 4:30 PM post. Nothing has changed since.

I am currently using version TB 102.3.1,. This has been going on since I originally updated from a properly functioning version 98 to the next newer version 102.