Revert to ver 91

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
decroft

Revert to ver 91

Post by decroft »

I have 102.0.3, and it is full of bugs. I can't log on to my mail server half the time.

I would like to revert to version 91. Does anyone know if the file structure changed from 91 to 102? On the last big upgrade the file structure was totally changed and therefore I could not revert since I am POP3 .
tanstaafl

Re: Revert to ver 91

Post by tanstaafl »

Its not just a question of whether some files were replaced with other files, its also a question of database schema. However, I shared a profile with 91 and 102 until about 2 weeks ago by adding a --allow-downgrade command line argument in the shortcut for version 91:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" --allow-downgrade

I think I had to also set the default profile again for 91 using the about:profiles link in help -> more troubleshooting information.

The address book schema is different, you may have problems seeing all of the phone numbers if you revert to 91.*. If that is a problem, export the address book as .csv files beforehand so that you can import them.

102 has its share of problems but if you can't log onto your mail server a lot that doesn't sound like a version specific problem. If you said you couldn't log on at all I'd suspect your email provider didn't support at least TLS version 2. Who is your email provider? What is the error message?

"On the last big upgrade the file structure was totally changed and therefore I could not revert since I am POP3 ."

The basic layout of the profile hasn't changed since at least version 3 unless you count adding optional support for using the maildir format for mail storage. Certain files get replaced over time. I think there have been over 4 different files used to store account passwords and nine different files used to store certificates for example. Address books moved from *.mab files to *.sqlite files. .rdf files replaced by .json files. But the basic layout stays the same. I used to share a profile with version 2.0.0.24 and version 68. Obvious issues with different files used to store passwords, incompatible add-ons etc. but I was able to switch at will between the two versions and read all of my mail etc..

Perhaps you created a new profile for some reason and accidentally switched from using mbox to maildir as the mail storage format. The ImportExportTools NG add-on knows how to import/export mbox files and the *.eml files used by maildir.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

decroft wrote:I have 102.0.3, and it is full of bugs. I can't log on to my mail server half the time.
At least two important pop fixes are in 102.3.0 (not 102.0.3).

If 102.3.0 did not fix your problem, what is you mail provider?

And, you can stay on 102 and temporarily avoid the pop issues by seting mailnews.pop3.jsmodule false to get the old implementation
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Did you solve your problem?