Update notices to the latest version never stop

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
BabblesBird

Update notices to the latest version never stop

Post by BabblesBird »

I'm currently using Version 102.3.2(Windows 64bit). I downloaded and updated from the official site as the auto update does not recognize it. Since I updated my Thunderbird from 93 to 102, I'm always prompted to update to the latest version once a day. I have never skipped the update order and have updated them one by one in sequence so far. Of course, it is also shown in the latest version of 102.3.2.

This is not just happening to me, it is happening to several people around me. And it is not all of them. Each they are using Thunderbird with Windows 10 or 11. They have likewise been updated from 93 to 102. I tried uninstalling Thunderbird and reinstalling (new profile) and it reproduced.

I suppose disabling automatic Thunderbird updates would solve the problem, but that is not a fundamental solution. Where is the problem?
tanstaafl

Re: Update notices to the latest version never stop

Post by tanstaafl »

Moved from thunderbird bugs to thunderbird support
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

There are a a couple of other threads about problems where Thunderbird keeps insisting there is a update available when there isn't. It has already downloaded a file that contains a patch to supposedly update the current version and wants to apply the patch.

See viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3096527 for a long thread about it keep wanting to update even though its uptodate. Its describes several possible solutions. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... olicy.json discusses using a policies.json file in a distribution directory within the directory where thunderbird is installed. That seems to be the most reliable way to stop an unwanted update if deleting the downloads doesn't help.

I used the following policies.json file:

Code: Select all

{
  "policies": {
    "AppAutoUpdate": false
  }
}
"Now I see a line that says Enterprise Policies Active in help -> more troubleshooting information, about 7 lines up from the bottom of the Application Basics section. Active is actually a link. If I click on it I see a Enterprise Policies tab with Active and Documentation buttons I can click on. I now get "updates disabled by your administrator" in help -> about Thunderbird."

If you want to re-enable updates just rename the policies.json file.
sunclad

Post by sunclad »

I posted about this here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3101728

A manual install is not stopping this either. It seems to display on first usage of the day and then maybe several hours later. Subsequent launches during the day do not see this display. It appears to be on some kind of times.

However in my case the blue button to get an update is not initiating a download or patch. It is taking me to the main TB page where you get a new copy of the download. I checked the site to be sure it was not a hack and it appears legit.

I like to be notified of updates and use the update channel so i am not a fan of turning update notifications off.

Worth noting that this has existed fo rat least 2 of the last minor revisions. I'd like to just get this off.

Also to note that when I did take a copy of the current version and did a manual install this did not go away.
BabblesBird

Post by BabblesBird »

I have not tried creating policies.json yet. Does it create a new one in the directory "c:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird" in Windows?

Since I updated to 102.2, I have not been able to update automatically in the first place. It's not that I can't do it, it's more like it doesn't recognize the latest version, but that would be the right way to describe it. I check the version and it always shows that it is the latest version. So I go to the site and download it every time.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Does it create a new one in the directory "c:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird" in Windows?"

No. You need to manually create a distribution child directory at the location and then create the policies.json file in that child directory.
sunclad

Post by sunclad »

I tried the removal fo the "updates" folders at the stated locations. Did not work. Hopefully the next update will address this and wipe the problem out.
BabblesBird

Post by BabblesBird »

I tried that policies.json. That hid the "update behavior" section of the Thunderbird settings. However, the update notification to the latest version still continues. This is happening on 3 Windows PCs.
BabblesBird

Post by BabblesBird »

It appears that the update notification problem has been fixed in Ver.102.4.0.
BabblesBird

Post by BabblesBird »

It wasn't fixed.
I'm on day 3 since updating to 102.4 and today the dialog appeared.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

When you tried that policies.json file did Thunderbird say Enterprise Policies Active and you get "updates disabled by your administrator" in help -> about Thunderbird? I'm wondering if you used the correct file but put it in the wrong location.
BabblesBird

Post by BabblesBird »

tanstaafl wrote:"updates disabled by your administrator"
I did not see this. The update method selection area was hidden.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

All that I can suggest is that you double check where you placed the file. It needs to be at a distribution child directory within the directory where you installed Thunderbird, not in the profile.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Enterp ... es/Testing might give you some debugging ideas.

I don't have the policies.json file anymore so when I enter Services.policies.status at the error console I get a 0. I just added that file again and now I get a value of 1 when I enter Services.policies.status at the error console. Enterprise Policies now becomes 1 in the Application basics section.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

BabblesBird

Post by BabblesBird »

I found out about the "102.4.1" update 3 hours after I last posted. I then updated. A few days have passed since then and the dialog no longer appears. I hope this time it will be resolved.