Stuck on "Copying message..."

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
user2018

Stuck on "Copying message..."

Post by user2018 »

I frequently have the following problem with Thunderbird. When I archive several messages at once, I see in the status bar the message "Copying message 1 of <X> to <Archived folder>", without progressing. Messages are not archived; it's like something went wrong and the process was frozen. The Activity Manager does not show anything that makes me suspicious of a problem. For things to start working well again, I need to exit Thunderbird, but actually the process is not immediately exited, just the GUI (I need to manually terminate the process -"Force quit" in MacOS-, so it seems that Thunderbird is actually trying to do something).

I'm on MacOS 12.6 with Thunderbird 102.3.2 (64-bit).

Any tip is very welcome.
tanstaafl

Re: Stuck on "Copying message..."

Post by tanstaafl »

Everything you can do with the archive command you can (normally) do manually. See what happens if you finish archiving manually. You might want to move the first few messages one by one so that you have plenty of opportunity to see any errors. If that works fine, then try moving the remaining messages in one step etc.

Before you do that you might try using help -> troubleshoot mode (aka safe mode) and then try again. Perhaps there is a problem with one of your add-ons.
tanstaafl

Re: Stuck on "Copying message..."

Post by tanstaafl »

Moved from Thunderbird General to Thunderbird Support .